Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2004, 11:33 PM

Default Re: Line Check, Please

[ QUOTE ]
It is fairly pointless to be arguing this point without all of the relevant details about fishy. Is he the fish in a very tough game, but not a fish of certain internet sites magnitude? Is he over-aggressive, etc, etc

[/ QUOTE ]

At the time I didn't really know. I'd only played with him for 10 minutes. As noted, he'd played passive in the hand where I took his initial stack. Everyone limped pre-flop. He bet out for 25, I raised to 75, he called. I bet 200 on the turn, he called. I bet 300 on the river, he called. I showed bottom set and he mucked. That was all the actual data I had at the time, plus the fact that the guy who set up the game was doing it specifically to get this guy in.

Based on the rest of the night, I can answer your question much better. He has very poor starting hand selection and is basically passive, almost a calling station. He very rarely raises. The pf raise and the flop all in on the hand described were very unusual. I never saw him do something similar over the next several hours.

All of this is to say that based on what I know now my play of this hand might be more defensable. Based on the data available at the time, I'm persuaded that what I did was not the correct play, despite the results.

Let me ask another question: What would people have thought of a pf re-raise to, say, 200?
Old 11-19-2004, 01:10 AM

One thing I'm a bit puzzled about. You say he is normally very passive to the point of being a calling station. Yet on the hand you posted, he raised huge preflop with 88. Or is that just post-flop that's he's more passive?
Old 11-21-2004, 06:32 AM

I think you apporve of your fold becuase of the results. If you had a read on fishy that he was extremely passive and somehow his raise (which is not much compared to the pot size) signaled a monster to you than ok. I doubt this is the case and given the odds here at least a call seems like a no brainer.

-Ezcheeze