Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Line Check, Please (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=149279)

JFB37 11-15-2004 10:03 AM

Line Check, Please

I'm just looking for a quick reality check here on this line.

The relevant history: this is a new 5/5 game at a NY club. "Smart Guy" has set it up by bugging the floor to consolidate tables and assign a new dealer. As we are sitting down he tells the dealer to wait until "Fishy" gets in. (I've never played with Fishy before.) On the very first hand I'm on the button and limp with 33. I end up taking Fishy's buy in with bottom set. Smart Guy is to my left. As I drag that pot I comment that the way Fishy was calling my down I wasn't so confident. Smart Guy snorts and says something like, "nothing to worry about with Fishy." Fishy rebuys.

The relevant hand is less than 10 minutes later: Fishy starts with 450. Smart Guy has about 700. I have everyone covered.

Smart Guy makes it 30 to go from UTG. Fishy raises to 75 from MP. I call from the BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check. Smart Guy bets 125. Fishy raises all in to 375. I fold.

Comments?

Thanks, as always.

--Jack

Kips Bay Kid 11-15-2004 12:06 PM

Re: Line Check, Please

Looks good to me, fold.

JasonP530 11-15-2004 12:31 PM

I want to preface by saying that I dont too much about the intricacies of NL, so if you could explain to me.
How come you layed it down? It seems as though you called to hit that, and you did and folded. Was it Smart Guys lead? I wouldnt think you were worried about AT or A8 there. Besides, fishy is all in. If you could take me through your through process, I would really appreciate it.

Jason

Kips Bay Kid 11-15-2004 01:03 PM

Top Pair Top Kicker is not that strong of a hand in NL, when people risk as many chips as Fishy did (as well as there being another person aggressively betting this flop) chances are pretty good you are beat.

JFB37 11-15-2004 01:07 PM

My analysis at the time was that I missed the flush possibility, there was only back door straight possibility and the best I could hope for was a split. I posted to see if others came to that basic conclusion.

I'll post the results later.

soah 11-15-2004 06:07 PM

If you are going to fold on that flop then you should have folded before the flop. What were you hoping for?

okayplayer 11-15-2004 06:20 PM

Why didn't you lead out into this flop? You could likely isolate the Fish or the smart guy - who most likely has the same hand or is way behind.

If you're playing that only to flop a flush, then you shouldn't be calling PF because you'll flop a flush less than 1% of the time.

sdplayerb 11-15-2004 06:26 PM

against fishy it is an easy call i think. he likely has the same as you, but could easily have AQ..since he is bad.
he almost definitely slowplays anything that beats you.
did the other guy call?

Matt Flynn 11-15-2004 06:28 PM

preflop pot's 225 and you fold with tptk when a fishy guy goes all in for 375 and you are only vulnerable for 250 more? and no strong read for a big hand? my only thought is "don't spill your drink." all in.

matt

Wheezl 11-15-2004 06:50 PM

I dont get it. I think you are leaving money on the table here in the long run regardless of how it worked out. Id probably push here.