Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2004, 06:32 PM

Default Am I Going to Burn in Hell?

I don't use a handbook to decide whether what I do is right, wrong, or neutral.

I don't subscribe to any religion.
Does this mean I deserve to be tortured eternally?

Today my roommate left a large container of chocolate covered raisins open on his desk. I am reasonably sure if I asked him for some he would happily share, but he isn't around to ask. So far I have eaten four.
Do crimes like this deserve eternal torture?

A while back I had sex with this girl, who I knew had a boyfriend. I didn't know the guy, and I figured it wasn't that big a deal. Eventually this guy found out, and they broke up.

One morning he was found on some rocks below the balcony of his fourth story apartment. The doctors pulled the plug on him about 24 hours later and his organs were donated to people in need.

Shortly after, a detective grilled me about where I was the night before he was found. I was with some friends that night otherwise I might have had to hire a lawyer. Anyway the cops and coroner eventually ruled that he had jumped, although the girl in this story doesn't believe he did, I am fairly sure that it was a suicide.
Does this mean I am going to hell?

Does any finite crime 'deserve' infinite punishment? Does God go by the golden rule? Can a morally perfect being dole out punishment so out of proportion to the crime?
Can you get away with anything as long as you acknowlede Jesus as your savior before you die?

Thoughts?
Old 10-05-2004, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Am I Going to Burn in Hell?

When Jesus died on the cross, he forgave all your sins. All you have to do is admit you're a sinner and accept this free forgiveness. Thats it. Seriously. You don't have to stop playing poker or stop eating your friends food or even stop having sex with a girl you know has a boyfriend.
It's not my place to judge where you will spend your eternity. God will do that.

*good deal, huh?
Old 10-05-2004, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When Jesus died on the cross, he forgave all your sins. All you have to do is admit you're a sinner and accept this free forgiveness. Thats it. Seriously. You don't have to stop playing poker or stop eating your friends food or even stop having sex with a girl you know has a boyfriend.
It's not my place to judge where you will spend your eternity. God will do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

This just makes me want to vomit.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:33 PM

Then maybe it's lucky for you that God doesn't force you to believe in Him. It's your choice.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:07 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This just makes me want to vomit.

Then maybe it's lucky for you that God doesn't force you to believe in Him. It's your choice.

But felson, don't you at least see, why this SHOULD make someone want to vomit. Even if you believe it is true.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:51 PM

"But felson, don't you at least see, why this SHOULD make someone want to vomit. Even if you believe it is true."

I am pretty sure I have an idea why it MIGHT make people want to vomit. I don't believe that it SHOULD.

But David, I have guessed wrong about your state of mind before. Before I try to respond to an imaginary argument, why don't you spell it out for me?
Old 10-06-2004, 12:29 AM

But felson, don't you at least see, why this SHOULD make someone want to vomit. Even if you believe it is true.

Just because it makes you want to vomit, doesn't mean it isn't true.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:46 AM

You have a sensitive gag reflex, David, but I think I understand what triggered it. You realize, of course, that believers who misrepresent Christian doctrine are analogous to terrible poker players who bring a dogeared copy of The Theory of Poker to the table? I choose to judge your peerless work on its own merits. I'd hope you'd extend the same courtesy to that other Book which also happens to be pretty good.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:19 PM

Felson, no offense, I am just wondering what a Christian could possibly be doing on a gambling site? It would be understandable, I suppose, if you had just sought this site out of the many evil places on the internet, to spread the word to degenerate gamblers; however, you are one of us, judging by many of your previous posts. So, what gives? It's that easy? I just live a life of complete and utter sin and two minutes before I die I just ask for forgiveness and it is granted? COOL!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Bug
Old 10-05-2004, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just live a life of complete and utter sin and two minutes before I die I just ask for forgiveness and it is granted? COOL!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

according to the Bible the answer is YES!!
When Christ died on the cross one of the other men who was hanging there(he was a sinful man) said to JC that he believed he really was the Son of God. JC said something to the effect of, "surely this day you will spend eternity with me in paradise(heaven)".
So yes it really is that easy.
But why wait until 2 min before you're about to die? why not do it now so that you don't have to worry about it?