Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Am I Going to Burn in Hell? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=132474)

SnakeRat 10-05-2004 06:32 PM

Am I Going to Burn in Hell?

I don't use a handbook to decide whether what I do is right, wrong, or neutral.

I don't subscribe to any religion.
Does this mean I deserve to be tortured eternally?

Today my roommate left a large container of chocolate covered raisins open on his desk. I am reasonably sure if I asked him for some he would happily share, but he isn't around to ask. So far I have eaten four.
Do crimes like this deserve eternal torture?

A while back I had sex with this girl, who I knew had a boyfriend. I didn't know the guy, and I figured it wasn't that big a deal. Eventually this guy found out, and they broke up.

One morning he was found on some rocks below the balcony of his fourth story apartment. The doctors pulled the plug on him about 24 hours later and his organs were donated to people in need.

Shortly after, a detective grilled me about where I was the night before he was found. I was with some friends that night otherwise I might have had to hire a lawyer. Anyway the cops and coroner eventually ruled that he had jumped, although the girl in this story doesn't believe he did, I am fairly sure that it was a suicide.
Does this mean I am going to hell?

Does any finite crime 'deserve' infinite punishment? Does God go by the golden rule? Can a morally perfect being dole out punishment so out of proportion to the crime?
Can you get away with anything as long as you acknowlede Jesus as your savior before you die?

Thoughts?

Sundevils21 10-05-2004 06:40 PM

Re: Am I Going to Burn in Hell?

When Jesus died on the cross, he forgave all your sins. All you have to do is admit you're a sinner and accept this free forgiveness. Thats it. Seriously. You don't have to stop playing poker or stop eating your friends food or even stop having sex with a girl you know has a boyfriend.
It's not my place to judge where you will spend your eternity. God will do that.

*good deal, huh?

Demana 10-05-2004 06:54 PM

You first need to define "Hell" and only once you have labeled and limited the idea to something that can be udnerstood by all can we offer our opinions on your state once you are there (provided that is where you end up).

Sundevils21 10-05-2004 07:01 PM

I don't know about what hell he is talking about.
The hell in the Bible is defined as "eternal seperation from God". No fire or brimstone(not that it isn't possible), just eternal seperation from God.
That is what the Bible describes hell as.
Heaven is described as a place with no hunger, no problems, no sin. Basically, you GET to be in the presence of God all the time(not really "time" though).

The once and future king 10-05-2004 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When Jesus died on the cross, he forgave all your sins. All you have to do is admit you're a sinner and accept this free forgiveness. Thats it. Seriously. You don't have to stop playing poker or stop eating your friends food or even stop having sex with a girl you know has a boyfriend.
It's not my place to judge where you will spend your eternity. God will do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

This just makes me want to vomit.

felson 10-05-2004 07:33 PM

Then maybe it's lucky for you that God doesn't force you to believe in Him. It's your choice.

David Sklansky 10-05-2004 08:02 PM

*good deal, huh?

It sure is a good deal. And that is why those who say that nonbeleivers feel the way they do, not because of intellectual skepticism, but rather because they don't want to answer to a higher authority, couldn't, for the most part be more wrong. It would make life a lot easier if you could be forgiven all your sins from simply stating a belief then lets say by spending years doing good to make up for those sins.

David Sklansky 10-05-2004 08:07 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This just makes me want to vomit.

Then maybe it's lucky for you that God doesn't force you to believe in Him. It's your choice.

But felson, don't you at least see, why this SHOULD make someone want to vomit. Even if you believe it is true.

blackaces13 10-05-2004 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

*good deal, huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, you mean this wasn't written in jest!?

Sundevils21 10-05-2004 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And that is why those who say that nonbeleivers feel the way they do, not because of intellectual skepticism, but rather because they don't want to answer to a higher authority, couldn't, for the most part be more wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Those who try to figure out why a person would choose not to(or choose to) believe in Jesus are wrong. I don't care why others choose not to believe in Christ.

[ QUOTE ]
It would make life a lot easier if you could be forgiven all your sins from simply stating a belief then lets say by spending years doing good to make up for those sins.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how familiar you are with the Bible, but it *definatly* does not teach that you get to heaven through works or "years doing good to make up for those sins". The Bible teaches that no matter how good a person somebody is, you cannot EARN your way to heaven(or favor with God). Thankfully, you don't have to have "x" amount of good deeds before you're allowed into heaven. You just have to accept the forgiveness that God is offered you when he send JC.
(obscure Bible outline)
1. admit you are a sinner
2. accept the forgiveness that you are being offered
3. have faith that God will do what he said

It is a lot easier than most make it out to be, you're right.