Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-22-2005, 10:41 PM

Default Re: How Do I Read a Limp Reraise?

Not to be too rude, but this is a very poorly played hand.

Because you gave no reads I'll just assume you're up against typical low limit players.

You should have folded preflop to the SB's single raise. Period. If it was suited then a call is okay, especially with a couple limpers in, too. But the offsuit version of a hand that has only limited high card strength is just no good in this raised pot. Fold.

Since you called... Fold again. You have another chance to fold. It two more bets back to you and once again you have a crappy offsuit hand. Two different opponents have now shown strength. Fold preflop again.

Btw, in my experience a limp reraise will often mean AA or KK, but it can sometimes mean 22 or 77 or 72o. So reads are fairly limited. I will say that in my experience it usually means a pocket pair of some sort. People like to "build pots" for when they hit their sets.

And also, the single most common hand I've been limp reraised against is AA, especially if they're the first person in (the don't want everyone to fold, which is silly, because people don't fold, that's why it's low limit online poker).

On the flop you should also fold, especially being trapped in the middle like that. You could very well be drawing almost dead is your opponents have hands like JJ and AK. Even if you're not, you're drawing pretty slim and you're NOT CLOSING THE ACTION. Fold on the flop. You're very lucky it didn't get raised behind you.

Fold on the turn. Here you really need to fold. Again.

Why the hell are you raising this river? You shouldn't have even seen this river. I'd much rather make the safer play and just call and go for overcalls. MP2 has been calling down all the way so there's a decent chance he has a better king (considering his preflop action). Or he may have AA or KK (some limp reraisers like to stay passive with their high pocket pairs until right up on the river) (very silly, as they give their opponents a cheap chance to outdraw them).

And don't say crap like, "the pot's too big for me to fold." It's not a matter of "too big or too small" it's simply a matter of pot odds. Either you have odds or you don't. Even if you make a very generous calculation you don't have anywhere near the odds to call at anytime in this pot (except maybe the river), so fold. The pot's not "too big."