Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   How Do I Read a Limp Reraise? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=298591)

bardolph 07-22-2005 10:11 PM

How Do I Read a Limp Reraise?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

OK, the limp-reraise threw me. Am I supposed to fold this?

Flop: (13 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

With 2 overcards and a large pot, I figure I have the odds to stay in.

Turn: (8 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Again, the pot is just too big for me to fold. Maybe I'll hit a king?

River: (11 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Yay.

Final Pot: 20 BB

hemstock 07-22-2005 10:16 PM

Re: How Do I Read a Limp Reraise?

Fold when SB caps it preflop.
On the flop you are getting the odds to call with your overcards, but you have to fold the river.
Seems that MP2 has AK and SB propably QQ. Reads are really important.

JKDStudent 07-22-2005 10:26 PM

As much as it hurts, you need to drop this pre-flop or on the turn. Reason:

Pf, the limp-rr usually means big pair. Usually. However, it's usually enough to not be able to count on your T. And your K has a nice chance of being dominated. Or crushed, if the limp-rr or SB cap means KK.

You stuck around, and you might just get lucky. Straight draw, flop something nice which gives you 2-pair/trip outs. Unfortunately, you get none of that on this flop. On the other hand, you're getting 14:1. You have to stick around for that. However, if MP2 raises and SB 3-bets, drop it.

On the turn, you've got nothing. Your T is probably no good, and your K is not looking too hot either. If you haven't dropped it already, do it now.

moot 07-22-2005 10:41 PM

Not to be too rude, but this is a very poorly played hand.

Because you gave no reads I'll just assume you're up against typical low limit players.

You should have folded preflop to the SB's single raise. Period. If it was suited then a call is okay, especially with a couple limpers in, too. But the offsuit version of a hand that has only limited high card strength is just no good in this raised pot. Fold.

Since you called... Fold again. You have another chance to fold. It two more bets back to you and once again you have a crappy offsuit hand. Two different opponents have now shown strength. Fold preflop again.

Btw, in my experience a limp reraise will often mean AA or KK, but it can sometimes mean 22 or 77 or 72o. So reads are fairly limited. I will say that in my experience it usually means a pocket pair of some sort. People like to "build pots" for when they hit their sets.

And also, the single most common hand I've been limp reraised against is AA, especially if they're the first person in (the don't want everyone to fold, which is silly, because people don't fold, that's why it's low limit online poker).

On the flop you should also fold, especially being trapped in the middle like that. You could very well be drawing almost dead is your opponents have hands like JJ and AK. Even if you're not, you're drawing pretty slim and you're NOT CLOSING THE ACTION. Fold on the flop. You're very lucky it didn't get raised behind you.

Fold on the turn. Here you really need to fold. Again.

Why the hell are you raising this river? You shouldn't have even seen this river. I'd much rather make the safer play and just call and go for overcalls. MP2 has been calling down all the way so there's a decent chance he has a better king (considering his preflop action). Or he may have AA or KK (some limp reraisers like to stay passive with their high pocket pairs until right up on the river) (very silly, as they give their opponents a cheap chance to outdraw them).

And don't say crap like, "the pot's too big for me to fold." It's not a matter of "too big or too small" it's simply a matter of pot odds. Either you have odds or you don't. Even if you make a very generous calculation you don't have anywhere near the odds to call at anytime in this pot (except maybe the river), so fold. The pot's not "too big."

Bobby Digital 07-22-2005 10:44 PM

When it is capped pre flop is when your cards should hit the muck. Assuming your opponents are not overly aggressive preflop their range of hands here has you well behind. There is almost no flop that can look good for your hand.

A limp reraise is usually a sign of a strong hand, a high pocket pair, AK, etc. Sometimes a loose aggressive player will limp reraise with a small pair, or two suited connectors especially if the pot could be very large.

Percy101 07-22-2005 10:47 PM

KTo is rarely a good hand to call pf raises with, even from the BB unless the raiser could be stealing. I would fold to the original raise from SB here. If I happened to hit the call button by mistake I would very much fold to the cap from SB.
In my experience a limp reraise in the micro-limits means one of two things: (1) the player has AA, KK, or AKs (not very likely, unless the player suffers from fps) or (2) the player is larking about, raising with any two cards for fun, or is so insulted that someone has raised a pot they had limped into they are raising for, erm, revenge. With any two cards.

zPro 07-22-2005 11:03 PM

Preflop: I'm looking to limp with KTos. I fold as soon as the SB raises me.

Flop: I'd call one bet here.

Turn: Easy fold.

SoftcoreRevolt 07-22-2005 11:57 PM

Fold to the preflop cap. You are now definately dominated, and a remote possibility that both are almost dead.

You need to fold the turn, the pot is not "too big" it is just 9 BB when it gets to you, you need to heavily discount your outs here. Diamonds while putting a runner runner flush on the board will sometimes make a flush for AKs or AQs who would absolutely not fold here, and more importantly, a Ten loses to AA-TT, a King loses to AA-KK, AK and KQs.