Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2004, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Any Hand Readers out there?

Flop: 755 rainbow. PFR to your immediate left. His flop bet is called in 4 spots.

It would be a mistake for you to slowplay any hand including trips, a boat or quads. PFR could easily be betting with just overcards (as they are wont to do on PP). He may check the turn if you decide to go for a turn checkraise. PFR may even check AA on several turn cards given 4 flop calls.

In short, the best time for you to raise with a made hand is on the flop. The best made hand is of course 77 (hopefully, you will be lucky enough to have a player or two locking horns with you while holding trips).

So, if you played this hand properly, you should have 86 suited. If you had that hand, good river value bet and well played overall.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:46 PM

Leading out with trips when the PFR is to your immediate left is suboptimal play. there are exceptions but on this flop with this pot size, going for the CR is the proper play with trips.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:49 PM

BTW, my guess of 86 assumes that you have a hand. Perhaps, you put in a semibluff raise on the turn with something like 6h4h. That would be a fine play as well particularly since you had been so quiet up to that point in the session.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:12 PM

The only hand reading to be done here is to say that you have represented a hand strength of about 5s full. Putting you on a specific hand is impossible.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Any Hand Readers out there? My hand.

I was holding AT [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Some of you may think I made a terrible play with that hand and just had good furtune to win in the end. However, these are the underlying reasons to why I played like I did.

Preflop: Its an obvious call. Im in BB and it is just 1 bet to call. I am trying to catch some hearts.

Flop: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Only one of my suit, so I check with intention to fold. I missed the board and with five players in so much can go wrong. But when the betting comes back and its only one bet to me (14 sb in the pot) and Im closing the betting. I figure that if I can catch a heart or a Ten I could be in shape for a semi-bluff. My thinking goes like this "preflop raiser probably has overcards, the pot is already big so only a fool would slowplay a 5, somebody with 68,78 an overpair would raise for the same reason, they called 2 bets cold preflop... overcards hmmm " So I call.

Turn: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check. Preflop raiser bets. Its called to me and I raise.

Nobody raised the pot yet so I figure that only someone with 55 or 77 might slowplay. I raise to represent a full house. This to force drawing hands out of the pot, convincing them that they are drawing dead. If I get popped I will fold. I am hoping that all my folding earlier will assure the other players that I really have a made hand.

Only the button calls

River: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet right out. An automatic play (big pot 14.5 bigbets). I am really really praying now... Button folds. I still wonder what Button held....

Honestly. What do you think of my play?
Old 09-27-2004, 03:17 PM

i'll guess a range: 77, 55, 75, 99, A5

am i close?
Old 09-27-2004, 03:37 PM

Your play is okay. But a couple of things:

1. Your flop call has some reverse implied odds associated with it i.e. when you catch an ace. Still, since you are closing the action, taking one off is fine.

2. With the nut flush draw, you prolly can't fold even if someone 3 bets the turn. You definitely don't fold if it's the PFR who 3 bets you.

3. When the PFR bets the flop and turn (into 4 opponents no less), it's usually dangerous to continue to put him on overcards.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Honestly. What do you think of my play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you bluffed with the best hand. Good play though.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:56 PM

I think your poker logic is pretty confused. First of all, it's dead wrong to elliminate trip fives from consideration simply because it's one bet to you on the flop. Many many (insert many "many"s here) players slowplay trips, right or wrong. This is particularly true of the kinds of players that would actually have limped in with a 5 in the first place.

Your turn check-raise does not represent a full house. You are indicating a slowplayed five or overcards that just caught a nine. You are highly unlikely to make four or five loose players fold.

Folding the nut flush draw to a 3-bet would be quite bad.

Your play might have been accidentally correct for other reasons. That hardly even matters. The point is, the way you thought about this hand is wrong.

Good luck.
Eric
Old 09-27-2004, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your play is okay. But a couple of things:

1. Your flop call has some reverse implied odds associated with it i.e. when you catch an ace. Still, since you are closing the action, taking one off is fine.

I agree. I did not want to see an ace on the turn.

2. With the nut flush draw, you prolly can't fold even if someone 3 bets the turn. You definitely don't fold if it's the PFR who 3 bets you.

I totally agree. I did say that I put PRF on overcards. How can I fold against him?? Glad you pointed that out. I feel ashamed...

3. When the PFR bets the flop and turn (into 4 opponents no less), it's usually dangerous to continue to put him on overcards. I agree in general but in this deal I wasnt afraid of PFR. Brings us back to above answer 2.(I am embarrased)