Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2004, 05:37 PM

Default Re: rounders vs. reality

I guess all movies take some creative liberties and spice things up, but to me the two most "realistic" movies about gambling, at least from a psychological perspective, are also two of the best, "The Gambler" and "California Split."
Old 12-06-2004, 05:44 PM

Okay, might be true. Havent actually seen it since I started to play poker myself, don't really remember how he reads the hands in the judges game.
So... is there anything anyone think is realistic in the movie?

-aron
Old 12-06-2004, 06:03 PM

I like when Damon opens for 20 X BB with pocket Kings the first hand heads up with KGB. KGB then puts in half his stack and folds to Damon's all in.

Realistic enough for ya?
Old 12-06-2004, 06:51 PM

You're not going to get any good responses on here, I'm afraid, poster. The problem is that Rounders had to try to balance drama that everyone could understand with good poker. This resulted in a great, great movie, but hardcore dork poker players (like those of us on here) pick it apart.

Instead of just enjoying it for what it was, and having a good time with the movie, people who are really serious about poker just can't let little things go when the opportunity to look intelligent by criticizing something presents itself. Asking about Rounders here is a lot like asking about one of the Star Trek movies that you loved in the midst of a sci-fi convention--there will usually be many people who have nothing better to do than criticize something they could have just enjoyed, and you'll definitely hear from them.