Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 11:49 PM

Default Movin\' on Up

So I'm looking all over hell for the juiciest games on the skins and stars to clear bonii. I've been playing primarily 2/4 and some 3/6 but occasionally step up if I see juicy games. Tonight I found a 50% table at 5/10 stars. I decided to give it a 20BB shot. I was card dead for the first few orbits and only played a couple hands including a painful hand vs the loosest bluffer at the table where my JJ was cracked by a flopped boat A5 (AA5 flop), blech.

Anyways my 20BB's was just about up when this hand came along. Two of the loose players had busted out and a couple new faces had just filled their seats so I had no read on them. I was actually one tabling and had decent reads on the entire table so of course the main villians in this hand were the two unknowns.

I get 4 red tits in UTG+2. UTG (TAG) limps, there's a fold, <font color="red"> I raise</font> , two folds, a loose slightly retarded passive amway representative CC's, a rock CC's, SB (no read) calls, <font color="red"> BB (no read) reraises</font>, UTG calls 2, <font color="red"> I cap</font>, three more calls.

6 of us go the flop for 24SB's

The flop comes 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

The action is checked to me and <font color="red"> I bet</font>, first CCer folds, rock calls, <font color="red"> SB check-raises</font>, <font color="red">BB check-reraises</font>, UTG folds, I go into the tank, put my finger in my nose and scratch my cerebral cortex and call! (gah), rocks folds, <font color="red"> SB caps</font> , BB calls, I call.

Me and two guys I just met go to the turn for a trunk load of money (18BB's or so I lost count)

The turn is the 6 of bricks
SB checks, <font color="red"> BB bets</font>, I call, SB calls. I now know SB is on a flush draw. There's only one hand BB can have that I beat that is remotely reasonable (can you guess it?), so of course my calls make very little sense except for the fact that I have odds to draw to my set.

There's now 21.5BB or so in the pot.

The river is the 5 of bricks.
SB open folds. Really, I'm not kidding. <font color="red"> BB bets</font>, I pray to the poker gods that he has that one hand I beat and call. I notice that my hand is actually shaking as the cards are flipped over...

How'd I do?
Old 10-16-2005, 12:26 AM

Default Re: Movin\' on Up

[ QUOTE ]
...I go into the tank, put my finger in my nose and scratch my cerebral cortex and call! (gah)...

[/ QUOTE ]

The Amway rep crack made me chortle a little and then I hit this nugget and beer came out my nose. That hurts worse than salt water.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
can you guess it?

[/ QUOTE ]

K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2005, 12:38 AM

Dude, bust the piggy bank and go for a 25bb shot. You'll be much better off, as you don't want to start playing with a short-stack.

However, congrats on the courage. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

--Dave.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, bust the piggy bank and go for a 25bb shot. You'll be much better off, as you don't want to start playing with a short-stack.

--Dave.

[/ QUOTE ]

I brought 60BB's to the table but wasn't going to lose more than 20 of them. Until this hand came along that is. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2005, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I brought 60BB's to the table but wasn't going to lose more than 20 of them. Until this hand came along that is.

[/ QUOTE ]

hehehe... sweet response.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I brought 60BB's to the table but wasn't going to lose more than 20 of them. Until this hand came along that is.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I swear to god 50% of the time when I unclick "auto-post blinds" and finish my orbit out I get TT or 99 UTG. One minute I've mentaly packed it in and suddenly I'm slinging my balls over my shoulder and clicking RAISEMUTHAFCKER!
Old 10-16-2005, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I swear to god 50% of the time when I unclick "auto-post blinds" and finish my orbit out I get TT or 99 UTG. One minute I've mentaly packed it in and suddenly I'm slinging my balls over my shoulder and clicking RAISEMUTHAFCKER!

[/ QUOTE ]

A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]?
Old 10-16-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

--Dave.

[/ QUOTE ]

I brought 60BB's to the table but wasn't going to lose more than 20 of them. Until this hand came along that is. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were only planning on making 20 BB available for play, you shouldn't have even brought 60. In my opinion, you shlould have brought 50 BB, and been prepared to lose every dime. Otherwise you could play scared and not even know it.

You might find this interesting: my theory on taking shots
Old 10-16-2005, 06:38 PM

I wasn't really taking a shot as much as playing a nice table for a set amount of money. I actually have never taken a shot before. I just move up when I'm emotionally ready for the higher limit and fortunately have never had to look back.

While I usually play 2/4 or 3/6 depending on game quality, I've played some 5/10 and 10/20 at Stars when I've seen juicy tables at those limits when all the 2/4 and 3/6 games sucked. The plan is playing my normal game for a few orbits until the games gets bad or I lose a set amount of money.

Perhaps 20BB is too low but that's about the point I knew I would start playing scared or tilt or whatever (money's tight in my household right now). I was hoping to run well until the game quality deteriorated at which time I'd look for another game at my usual limits. I've been remarkably lucky using this strategy and I think it helps me for my eventual permanent jump.