Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 09:49 AM

Default Re: KJo in MP1 - How would you have played this ?

I'd fold this pre-flop honestly myself. Whoever said cap the flop is crazy, I'm tempted to fold the river here but would probably call it just to see. I don't see your typical player 3-betting you OOP with something like K-lower kicker here.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:57 AM

Location: Somewhere between the Cask n Flagon and Green Monster

Since UTG+1 posted, I might open raise here about 30% of the time, otherwise fold preflop.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:58 AM

One of the things, which goes through my mind in hands like these, is that it is recommended (in SSHE I think) that you should try to avoid folding to a raise of your bet on the same betting round.

Reasoning being, that this is apparently very noticeable to other players, and that you dont want to encourage players to take shots at you on subsequent hands.

In this hand, I assumed that UTG+1 could not have AK because he had not raised, and that he was less likely to have KQ than Kx as that was 1 specific combination compared to 9 combinations (KT to K2).

Was my reasoning faulty, and having decided to call the flop raise, should I have then abandoned my hand to the turn bet? I did have top pair with a decent kicker after all.

By a typical PP .50/$1 table, I mean that there often seemed to be between 3 to 4 players seeing the flop. Also hands shown down often included Ax, Kx, or occassionally any 2 cards. Of course I had absolutely no read on UTG+1 as he had just sat down.

By the way, I am also not overfond of KJo, but my understanding is that it is reasonable to play this from middle position against loose opponents. Is this correct?

Thanks for all the input.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:43 AM

I limp KJo in middle position so I see no problem there.

I play the hand the same as you.

Did he manage to nail a set on the flop or was he overplaying a flush draw with the ace of clubs?
Old 05-26-2005, 11:05 AM

Davelin and Losfer guessed correctly.

Villain had AK [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] and hadnt raised PF with it.

I suppose that shows that other players wont always play the way in which we would expect them to, or the way that we would in their position and that we should try to adjust our hand reading for this.

Thanks for all the comments. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2005, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain had AK [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] and hadnt raised PF with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a peculiar combination of player...THAT passive PF and aggressive ON THE FLOP. Knowing what he had, I'd have expected him to just call you down to the river and then raise you, in the new PP micro-limit style.

All that said, I think you played the hand fine. Once he 3-bet the flop, you've got to start worrying about two pair, a set or the unlikely dominating king, but I don't fold this, either. And, whoever said cap the flop against an unknown poster needs to adjust their meds and therapy schedule.

Oh, and I probably throw up in my mouth once the ace falls on the river. Edit: up to that point, I would probably be planning to pop him once on the river, and then call his 3-bet back to me.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

That's a peculiar combination of player...THAT passive PF and aggressive ON THE FLOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its usually a sign of a player infected with FPS.