Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2005, 02:27 AM

Default Re: Sklansky -Fermat Conjectures

Submit a paper.

Two suggested journals:

Mathematica Journal

Journal of Interger Sequences

There are many others to choose from.

Teaser article Newton, Fermat, and Exactly Realizable Sequences

-Zeno
Old 06-19-2005, 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Conjecture One: A to the nth plus B to the nth (when n is an integer, five or greater) cannot equal equal C to the nth plus q, for some if not most q's.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a few comments about this conjecture.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] This is easy to prove for many values of q and n. For example, it is easy to prove that a^6 + b^6 = c^6 + 3 has no solutions, since every 6th power is of the form 7k or 7k+1, so when divided by 7, the left hand side would leave remainder 0, 1, or 2, while the right hand side would leave remainder 3 or 4.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] This is a generalization of Fermat's Last Theorem, but not in a direction that looks particulaly promising from the perspective of modern algebraic and analytic number theory. If you are interested in generalizations of Fermat's Last Theorem with more connections to deep parts of mathematics, see the ABC Conjecture:

For every epsilon greater than 0, there exists some k(epsilon)>0 so that for any positive integers A, B, C satisfying gcd(A,B)=1 and A+B=C,

C < k(epsilon) squarefree(A,B,C)^(1+epsilon),

where squarefree(A,B,C) is the product of the prime factors of A, B, and C (with repetition removed).

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Rather than conjecture specifics about particular values of q, perhaps it would be more interesting to conjecture that for any q and n, there are at most finitely many triples (a,b,c) satisfying a^n+b^n=c^n+q.

I'm not a number theorist, and it could be that both the specific cases and the general finiteness conjecture are settled.

[ QUOTE ]
Conjecture Two: If there are in fact q's for which the conjecture holds, some will be formally unprovable.

[/ QUOTE ]
That doesn't look like a conjecture. That looks like a guess. I'd bet $1k against it, even money.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:02 AM

Conjecture Two: If there are in fact q's for which the conjecture holds, some will be formally unprovable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That doesn't look like a conjecture. That looks like a guess. I'd bet $1k against it, even money.

My point is that I think there are qs for which the conjecture holds for no logical "reason" other than "sparseness".
Old 06-19-2005, 05:50 AM

A+b is what n gd conjecture?
im a run of the mill player can someone tell me what this is in very simple idiot english
Old 06-19-2005, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Conjecture One: A to the nth plus B to the nth (when n is an integer, five or greater) cannot equal equal C to the nth plus q, for some if not most q's.

Conjecture Two: If there are in fact q's for which the conjecture holds, some will be formally unprovable. In other words it might be true that (A to the n) + (B to the n) can never equal (C to the n) plus (lets just say) the number 846879032 (n greater than four), yet no proof of this fact is even theoretically findable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever had any formal mathematical training because it doesnt look like it; this is complete nonsense.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:18 PM

Is the basic idea: pick an integer q, and if it does satisfy (a^n)+(b^n)=(c^n)+q, there's no way to prove it?.

??
Old 06-19-2005, 09:38 PM

What is the practical purpose of discovering q?
(I'm an engineering student)

Can you build anything useful from this concept?
Old 06-20-2005, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My point is that I think there are qs for which the conjecture holds for no logical "reason" other than "sparseness".

[/ QUOTE ]

It might be much easier to show that such q's exist than to actually find them.

PairTheBoard
Old 06-20-2005, 09:15 AM

Please fix your title to "Sklansky conjecture".
This is still a bit pompous, but shows a bit more respect to a great, dead mathematician, who might object to people using his name just for adding a twist to the original conjecture.

J.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:15 AM

Just thought I'd throw in - if anyone's interested in the general form (Fermat's Last Theorem), Simon Singh's book Fermat's Enigma is an excellent, relatively nonmathematical writeup.