Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Sklansky -Fermat Conjectures (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=275382)

David Sklansky 06-18-2005 02:11 AM

Sklansky -Fermat Conjectures

Conjecture One: A to the nth plus B to the nth (when n is an integer, five or greater) cannot equal equal C to the nth plus q, for some if not most q's.

Conjecture Two: If there are in fact q's for which the conjecture holds, some will be formally unprovable. In other words it might be true that (A to the n) + (B to the n) can never equal (C to the n) plus (lets just say) the number 846879032 (n greater than four), yet no proof of this fact is even theoretically findable.

Roland19 06-18-2005 02:16 AM

Re: Sklansky -Fermat Conjectures

David Sklansky, you just made my night. You're my hero.

Daliman 06-18-2005 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Conjecture One: A to the nth plus B to the nth (when n is an integer, five or greater) cannot equal equal C to the nth plus q, for some if not most q's.

Conjecture Two: If there are in fact q's for which the conjecture holds, some will be formally unprovable. In other words it might be true that (A to the n) + (B to the n) can never equal (C to the n) plus (lets just say) the number 846879032 (n greater than four), yet no proof of this fact is even theoretically findable.

[/ QUOTE ]

DUUHH

Roland19 06-18-2005 03:38 AM

Honestly, though, I'd be interested to hear the relevance this has to anything. Where did this come from and what does it mean? I'm no math wizard, but sometimes I like to pretend that I am, and if I knew what the hell you were talking about, that would help further my pursuit of witchcraft and wizardry. Harry Potter out.

nate1729 06-18-2005 03:42 AM

David --

What motivates these conjectures? They "ring true" to me in the sense that they strike my mathematician's instinct as meaningful and not extremely likely (were I to lay odds) to be false; I do not, however, know enough of the technical material at the bottom of Wiles' proof to know if these conjectures would arise naturally from a careful consideration of it. (The reason I ask is that they also seem like they might have arisen from just idle thinking about Fermat's conjecture.)

And if you're trying to prove these and there's a lemma or two a guy with a BA in math from a good university (I studied mostly algebra and analysis) might be able to sink his teeth into, please PM me.

--Nate

kurosh 06-18-2005 04:32 AM

Ok? What's your point? Do you want someone to try and prove/disprove it?

BarkingMad 06-18-2005 11:26 AM

I'm no mathmetician. So, maybe some of the criteria flew over my head, but I plugged the formula into Excel, inserted some simple numbers for the A-B-C values, and used solver to find "Q".

For N = 5
A = 5
B = 4
C = 4
Q = 3125

5^5 + 4^5 = 4149

4^5 + 3125 = 4149

Again, maybe some of the constraints of the "conjecture" flew over my head. If I understood it correctly though, it seems like there are many Q's for which the conjecture would hold true.

kurosh 06-18-2005 11:34 AM

You misunderstood.

Sponger15SB 06-18-2005 11:50 AM

[censored] I was totally gonna make this exact post and you beat me to it!

TimTimSalabim 06-18-2005 02:52 PM

A, B and C have to be distinct values. If you make B = C, then they both drop out of the equation and there's no point to it.