Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2003, 11:28 AM

Default Re: have semibluffs become obsolete?

I am always amazed at how different every table plays. At some tables, as the preflop raiser, you can win the pot on the flop with another bet or raise. At other tables, they expect the preflop raiser to make a play after the flop and will raise you or at least call you down....and I am talking about general situations with average cards, not specific times when you may run into a real hand.

I have begun to try to play a little more reactionary and REALLY watch what is going on and not just automatically and robotically bet the flop if I was the preflop raiser...Duh! It sounds simple but its pretty easy to get into a routine and stupidly bet the low flop with AK or something when the table has aready proven to you that they will not stand for that kind of play.

I saw a micro interview with Phil Ivey on, I think, the WSOP2003 on Espn and he said he sits down at the table with no plan, and plays by reacting to what his opponents are doing. I think that is great advice, but of course very difficult for most players to pull off. There is alot of ego to get rid of to be able to fold your AK on the flop after 3 betting it, but there are times where a check and fold really are the best move...depending on the table :-)

Last night I was down $350 because I kept betting the flop with nothing and was getting called or raised every time...so I tightened up, realized I was going to need a real hand to play with, and ended up making $90 (+440-350=+90) Not very Phil Ivey like, but I do think of what he said now each time I sit down...Im just a little slow.

Spoody