Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Live 6/12 Dream Table

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't raise the flop because I was waiting for a big bet street. I thought I had made the right play at the time but have been questioning it a lot and I guess it was not correct.

When would it be correct to apply the concept?

[/ QUOTE ]
You're referring of course to Two Overpair Hands and giving incorrect odds to draws? There are simply too many bets in this pot to successfully pull that off here. You're just not going to be able to scare anybody on a draw out of this pot, small bet, big bet, or kill bet. It's a great concept but it won't apply here because the pot is too large.

Edit : You asked for when it might be correct to wait until the turn. Look for a smaller pot with a vulnerable hand (aces definitely qualifies). By waiting for a safe turn you effectively cut each draw's odds by half (one card to go instead of two) while at the same time doubling what they must pay to see the river.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:15 PM

On the flop you're in a good spot for check-raising. I don't mind checking to see where the bet comes from, but once it's a LP bet and one caller after him, you need to raise and charge the field with 2 cold. That way you fold hands that might be correctly calling on 4- and 5-outers.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:40 PM

As said above, you have such a huge equity edge that you MUST exploit it pre-flop. In a loose game where many players are playing too many hands and going too far, the're not worried about pot / implied / effective odds, most are there to gamble. If you are against thinking players than there can be an arguement to be made that raising pre-flop will give the proper odds to your opponents to draw to something like an inside or two pair. This is not one of those. Even against thinking players your edge is too large to forgo.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand raising for value but I guess my question is wouldn't raising preflop bloat the pot and make the fish chasing correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your goal in poker is not to make them play incorrectly. Your goal is to make the most money. Fish chase regardless of odds anyways. Raise because every dollar that goes in preflop makes you money, as you are holding the absolute PF nuts and every hand is paying to chase you.

~ Tilts
Old 07-06-2005, 08:01 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />

Your goal in poker is not to make them play incorrectly. Your goal is to make the most money.

[/ QUOTE ]

The way to make the most money is when your opponents make more mistakes than you do. Exploiting situations where your opponent has to fold or make an unprofitable call is the essence of winning poker. So I don't really know what you mean.

Also, I'm amazed to see yet another post from you that recommends complete and total unchecked aggression at all times. Now I now how to impress you in any advice situation: raise! raise! raise! bet! bet! raise! reraise!

(Disclaimer: OP not raising AA preflop is very bad)
Old 07-06-2005, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Your goal in poker is not to make them play incorrectly. Your goal is to make the most money.

[/ QUOTE ]

The way to make the most money is when your opponents make more mistakes than you do. Exploiting situations where your opponent has to fold or make an unprofitable call is the essence of winning poker. So I don't really know what you mean.

Also, I'm amazed to see yet another post from you that recommends complete and total unchecked aggression at all times. Now I now how to impress you in any advice situation: raise! raise! raise! bet! bet! raise! reraise!

(Disclaimer: OP not raising AA preflop is very bad)

[/ QUOTE ]

"Complete and total unchecked aggression" yes ... WITH ACES PREFLOP. Not "at all times". And I don't think my posts have any record at all of suggesting complete and total aggression at all times (i.e., heedless aggression) in any case.

With respect to my comments about the difference between trying to make your opponents play bad and winning money ... here is the explanation:

By attempting to manipulate the pot size so that it remains SMALLER while you are AHEAD merely to make the fishy chasers make a "mistake" by calling is a clear example of trying to make your opponents play incorrectly instead of trying to win the most money. When you are ahead and you know you are ahead, you put money in, particularly when you are against weak competition who rarely fold regardless of odds anyways. You *want* chasers in a big pot with aces, every time. That's what I meant.

~ Tilts
Old 07-06-2005, 09:48 PM

Perhaps if you look at it6 like this it will be easier. Like you said there were seven players to the flop, if you each had equal hands you would each have a 14% chance of winning. Fortunately for you you had AA's which is alot better than average, thus you have well over 14% chance of winning, when you have a large edge such as this you should raise. Except in some situations of course such as slowplaying, or those tricky turn plays.

JT [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]