Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Live 6/12 Dream Table (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=287561)

beta1607 07-06-2005 05:51 PM

Live 6/12 Dream Table

6/12 at Hollywood Park. Played this a couple weeks ago so some details may be a little off.

Table is amazingly loose with 8 of the players calling multiple preflop raises with any two suited and any two connected and most one gappers. Preflop raises get no respect.

7 limpers to me and I get black AA in the BB and check.

flop 459 two [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
checked to the CO who bets SB calls everyone calls

Turn T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Checked to CO who bets, SB calls I raise get 4 callers.

River 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I check UTG bets two callers CO raises I fold

I played this session after rereading a section in HEPFAP about loose games. The reason I didn't raise preflop is it wouldn't fold anyone and could make their chasing on later streets more correct. Did I apply the concept correctly?

shant 07-06-2005 05:53 PM

Re: Live 6/12 Dream Table

You raise preflop for value.

meep_42 07-06-2005 05:59 PM

You had aces and you only bet or raised once in the hand. That's really, really bad.

-d

beta1607 07-06-2005 06:00 PM

I understand raising for value but I guess my question is wouldn't raising preflop bloat the pot and make the fish chasing correct?

Paxosmotic 07-06-2005 06:00 PM

In a low limit hold em game, there is no plausible scenario in which limping with two aces is correct. Your equity against 7 limpers is so staggering one can barely fathom it. You're up against hands such as K4o and J3s, you must raise for value here.

[ QUOTE ]
I understand raising for value but I guess my question is wouldn't raising preflop bloat the pot and make the fish chasing correct?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes it would. Good for them. If you have the odds to chase a 35% draw, meaning I'll win the other 65% of the time, I will push all-in every single time whether you have the odds or not. 65% of the time I'm going to make a pretty penny. Who really cares what odds you're giving them, you've got aces for christ's sake, what are you waiting for?

meep_42 07-06-2005 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With 8 people in the pot, it's going to be correct for them to see the river with any two cards that hit the board at all, most of the time.

-d

shant 07-06-2005 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
They're going to chase correctly or not. Your hand will hold up against the limpers a good percentage of the time. You raise for value. Also, why did you check-call the flop if you were worried about protecting your hand. You should have check-raised the CO if you are worried about fish chasing.

Derek in NYC 07-06-2005 06:06 PM

You miss a ton of value if you don't raise aces preflop with 8 limpers. On your luckiest days, somebody wiseguy decides to limp reraise, in which case you bring it in for a cap. Big pairs from the blinds after a bunch of limpers are always hard to play--just raise for value, and figure out the best way to protect your hand once you've seen the texture of the flop.

beta1607 07-06-2005 06:06 PM

I didn't raise the flop because I was waiting for a big bet street. I thought I had made the right play at the time but have been questioning it a lot and I guess it was not correct.

When would it be correct to apply the concept?

beta1607 07-06-2005 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With 8 people in the pot, it's going to be correct for them to see the river with any two cards that hit the board at all, most of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great point.