Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 09:47 PM

Default Re: Too Tight on Bubble? 10+1

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, the guy is pushing 22-AA?

ugh, if hes pushing 22-88 hes also pushing AT-AQ, all those good cards.

OR MAYBE HE HAS NOTHING AND IS STEALING ON THE BUBBLE.

i said i fold this 1/5 times under specific conditions, that the table is very tight and i can steal at will or this player is a real rock (a real real rock).

[/ QUOTE ]

i really cant say what i would do unless i was in the game. the blinds are small .
Old 06-01-2005, 10:28 PM

I probably fold only becasue the stacks are so deep, I don't see much point in gambling for my whole stack here. If this was on party, I'm calling about 95% of the time.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:49 AM

I fold for the reason Nottom said: stacks are deep. There's really no need to go coinflipping with 20BBs.

Also I hate hate hate the comment in this thread about how AKo is the 4th best starting hand (it's not). That itself is not a good argument as to why you should call. Sometimes it's correct to fold queens, sometimes it's correct to fold kings. It's all dependent on other factors.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:40 PM

I call with AK, AA-QQ for sure, and MAYBE AQ/JJ if I have some sort of read that the person is on the weakside. I like calling AK because you have a bunch of his range dominated (AQ-A2, KQ-K9) and are coinflipping against his PPs, which he won't have all the time. Basically, with AK, you're not looking at a coinflip because his range likely includes many hands that you beat, so basically put your equity at 48% or whatever for coinflips, decrease it for AA/KK and then increase it a bunch for all of the hands you dominate, and I'm guessing you're probably 65% or better against his range.

The thing that makes me so tight here is the stack sizes. He's pushed 15BBs UTG, and while UTG doesn't mean anything really four-handed, the 15BBs part worries me because he really doesn't need this pot, and it smells like he's found a hand he likes but doesn't want to chance taking a flop with, so I think I can safely give him a range of JJ-22, AK-A2, KQ-K8, QJ-Q9, JT, T9. Against this range you're looking very good with AK, so I call. With AQ your equity drops quite a bit, so I'd need to feel more strongly about him being weak.

Keep in mind how you'll look after this hand. Probably 65% or more of the time, you'll have a big old stack and be able to run the [censored] out of the table and almost guarantee a 2nd place finish with a very reasonable chance at first. 35% or less of the time, you'll have 1300ish chips with the blinds moved up to (I think 150/300 but I don't play pokerstars) and that situation is not scary to me at all because I guarantee I play better shortstack than the button with 1500 chips and he gets mashed by both blinds first. So in my little world I feel like I've got a better than 60% chance of eeking into the money anyways.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:51 PM

I call this half the time depending on the table tightness. The fact that it is an 11 though means there will probably be no gap at all and I probably call.