Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 10:27 PM

Default Re: I told my dad I won $200 in a MTT today, and he yelled at me.

If he doesn't understand that you have an edge, explain to him like this... you flip a coin. if it lands heads, you pay him $5. if it lands tails, he pays you $1.

This is obviously gambling, but if he's not sharp enough to see that he has a huge advantage in the long run, you should just play when he's not around.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he doesn't understand that you have an edge, explain to him like this... you flip a coin. if it lands heads, you pay him $5. if it lands tails, he pays you $1.

This is obviously gambling, but if he's not sharp enough to see that he has a huge advantage in the long run, you should just play when he's not around.

[/ QUOTE ]

A good idea.

Enough philosophizing.

Your dad wants what's good to you. Show him, mathematically, how the luck aspect goes from being all-important to negligible over a progression of 1 to 100,000 hands. If he can't wrap his head around that, make sure he understands the law of large numbers.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm beating 1/2 6max for 4BB/100 after 6k. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ugh. This isn't even remarkable, much less "proof" that you can make a grand playing per month.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:01 AM

Im in a similar situation as my dad hates gambling.So I havent told him. I did not plan to make this much from poker but Ive gone from playing baby limit last year to being up about 54 k this year.
I give my dad money every month, but he would be disgusted if he knew how I got it. Ive though about telling him, but for now decided to keep it to myself.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your daddy is a paladin.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate paladins.

/mc

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it was a dam good TV show [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2005, 11:20 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
the problem is clearly that your dad is so used to you being straight edge that he can't handle it when you do something so unbecomming of a young upstanding christian

[/ QUOTE ]

As a poker-addicted evangelical Christian, I'd be really interested in understanding the background behind this response.

[/ QUOTE ]

there isn't any, simply a comment made in jest, basically because xNAMEx type nicks annoy me.

However, in a somewhat related item, 1/2 nl table in vegas, can't remember where, and some guy lost a pretty significant hand, and started swearing, nothing unusual, and mostly under his breath. But then the guy that was wearing the yet unnoticed Jesus shirt started goign off on how he was very offended, as a Christian, about this guy's reaction, which nearly started a brawl at the table as everyone was arguing about how either this guy shouldn't be swearing or this so called Christian was simply a hypocritical asshead, etc.

And if you really are addicted, you should seek help with your God, or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, you think since I'm straight edge that I'm a Christian?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes,
now tell me you aren't.

The issue with straight edge people isn't that they don't do drugs, have sex, drink, generally do the stuff that makes growing up fun. It's the fact that they don't do it, and they insist on letting everyone know they dont' do it, nobody cares.

[/ QUOTE ]

DING DING DING
Old 06-24-2005, 12:59 PM

Your Dad is concerned with your well-being that is all. Many parents invest an enourmous amount of effort in raising their kids. It is hard to let go and trsut their decisions sometimes.

I play 25-30 hours a week and love poker. However when my Daughter is 21, if she were to call me and say "guess whate Dad... I have been playing a lot of poker lately"... I would be a little worried.

Instead of spending time trying to convince your Dad that Poker is a good thing. Spend your time telling him about your classes and the work that you are doing. By demostrating, that you are focusing on your classwork and taking school seriously it will ease his mind.

If he asks if you are playing poker, simply say yes. When he voices disapproval tell him you understand. Gradually when he sees you being responsible, poker will become less of a "problem" in his mind. Then when he asks questions you can explain.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:53 PM

My dad had similar, but not as bad thoughts when I started playing online. 2 years and nearly 6 figures later, he has a FAR different opinion. He has his own Party Poker account where he plays for low stakes, and will be going to the WSOP with me.

But then again, he was a winning home game poker player and knew poker was beatable.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:29 PM

I just got the same [censored] from my parents today. It's endless. Just keep your head up. Play poker but don't let it take over other obligations.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:33 PM

lie