Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2004, 12:03 PM

Default Re: What\'s your river action?

What do you put the LP on?

This is the problem. He was aggressive enough that the range was wide.

I suppose that he might also have 88.

This I doubted, I hold one of the 8s.

I doubt that he has AK or AQ here.

It was on my list.

I'm not sure, but I think that I bet and call a raise, because I wouldn't like calling a 3-bet here

I think his is the correct line.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 07-16-2004, 12:09 PM

3-bet the flop. Pot's plenty big, and I'm thinking having that limper around does you more harm than good.

He was a pretty poor player and would call nearly any flop w/any piece, Ax and the like.

I was hoping to collect more callers and likely 3-bet and was surprised that I did not.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 07-16-2004, 12:14 PM

I agree, if he is truly LAG, and the limpers are terrible (and he knows it), then he's probably raising any (suited) paint here...so in addition to your hands, things like KQ or QJ or JT are all highly probable and all hands that he would raise the flop and bet the turn (maybe not KQ on the turn but who knows).

even if you limit yourself to AA-JJ and AJ, there are 18 combinations of hands you beat (6 each of AA QQ AJ) and 4 that you lose to (1 way KK and 3 ways JJ). If we start including things like suited paint and medium pairs, again the combinations of the number of hands you beat (QJ, JT, etc) are much greater than the hands you lose to (1 way 88, 3 ways KJ).

Joe is right, bet the river.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:23 PM

I think it's very important to checkraise the turn here or at least 3 bet the flop.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:14 PM

I almost fully agree with you, although it might be for different reasons. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I would lean towards 3 betting the flop and seeing what happens next.

But what about the river? Would bet out if you played it like hero? Or would you try the check raise? I would probably bet out.

`dude
Old 07-16-2004, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Nate,

I'm out of my element when playing limit, but don't you want to keep the limper in the hand on the flop? Wont 3-betting sometimes drop the limper and cost you bets on later streets if you hit your draw? I like the call vs. the 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's ahead of thet Button even a small fraction of the time, which given the description of the player, he probably is, then it would be in his overwhelming best interest to play it heads up against the LAG, as his pair of 8's is much more likely to hold up without futher improvement. The pot is also large enough that the limper may call two more cold, which is is +EV for him.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:19 PM

The dumbest post i've seen lately.If you don't call the river with two pair i don't know why you calling preflop in the first place.

War and peace.thank you
Old 07-16-2004, 03:03 PM

The dumbest post i've seen lately.If you don't call the river with two pair i don't know why you calling preflop in the first place.

Hahahahaha!

GoT
Old 07-16-2004, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The dumbest post i've seen lately.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why am I thinking the same about your post?

Guido
Old 07-16-2004, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree, if he is truly LAG, and the limpers are terrible (and he knows it), then he's probably raising any (suited) paint here...so in addition to your hands, things like KQ or QJ or JT are all highly probable and all hands that he would raise the flop and bet the turn (maybe not KQ on the turn but who knows).

even if you limit yourself to AA-JJ and AJ, there are 18 combinations of hands you beat (6 each of AA QQ AJ) and 4 that you lose to (1 way KK and 3 ways JJ). If we start including things like suited paint and medium pairs, again the combinations of the number of hands you beat (QJ, JT, etc) are much greater than the hands you lose to (1 way 88, 3 ways KJ).

Joe is right, bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Dante,

I agree with all of this except the last part. If you feel Joe is this likely to be ahead (which I think is obvious) and the opponent is truly LAG, then why not check/raise the river? I think there is a very slim chance the opponent either checks it through or folds to the raise.

If Joe played this as aggressively as I normally would then I'd definitely lead the river but given his fairly passive line on this hand I just don't see why check/raising wouldn't be the best play on the river. Now if I felt the opponent was very likely to raise with many hands I beat I could see the argument but I think he would bet and call a raise with many more hands than he would raise with.