Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2005, 06:09 PM

Default Re: 1-2NL Tropicana, I told Him To CHOP!!

20-40 live limit i get my hand in the BB and don't look until SB raises. I say "i guess we're not chopping," then I see AA and re-raise. He says "we can chop now" and I say "you can't do that, action already happened" so he capts it, i call.

so a King flops and it goes capped on the flop and turn and then only one bet on the river when he checks and i bet. I show the Aces, he mucks, and we don't talk or look at each other the for rest of the session.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Needless to say, next time we were in that situation, he came out and said "I CHOP!!" LOL, the table almost lost it.

[/ QUOTE ]

At that point you should have refused to chop with him. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

al
Old 04-09-2005, 01:18 PM

At Hollywood Park 3-6, the table collection is $1 even when the blinds "chop". The SB is $1, so when the small blind says "chop," then the dealer takes the SB, drops it in the rake, and lets the BB take back his bet. So "chopping" is no different from the SB's perspective than folding.

Given the sizeable rake if we get to a flop, people generally choose to "chop." What's puzzing to me is why, even in these games, the SB inevitably *asks* the BB, "are we chopping?" or "ya wanna chop?" He might as well ask the BB, "Do you mind if I fold to you?"
Old 04-09-2005, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's puzzing to me is why, even in these games, the SB inevitably *asks* the BB, "are we chopping?" or "ya wanna chop?" He might as well ask the BB, "Do you mind if I fold to you?"

[/ QUOTE ]

In general people should always chop or never chop. Thus the question only happens the first time you run into that situation with that particular person. I always ask before I look at my cards, and I don't mind either way whether the person wants to chop or play. It is very conceivable I could ask chop? be told no, and then raise.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
What's puzzing to me is why, even in these games, the SB inevitably *asks* the BB, "are we chopping?" or "ya wanna chop?" He might as well ask the BB, "Do you mind if I fold to you?"

In general people should always chop or never chop. Thus the question only happens the first time you run into that situation with that particular person. I always ask before I look at my cards, and I don't mind either way whether the person wants to chop or play. It is very conceivable I could ask chop? be told no, and then raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I guess that's reasonable and fair. But if you're looking out for yourself, you would never turn down a request to chop from your right, and rather than asking the guy on your left, you ought to just fold (at least with this blind structure and table collection).
Old 04-10-2005, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I guess that's reasonable and fair. But if you're looking out for yourself, you would never turn down a request to chop from your right, and rather than asking the guy on your left, you ought to just fold (at least with this blind structure and table collection).

[/ QUOTE ]

At such a low limit perhaps. Though when I played at the Commerce for the first time ($20/40) and learned they were going to drop $1 from my SB even if I chopped, it made me want to change my mind about chopping. But of course I couldn't change my mind the same session because that is bad etiquette, but if I ever play there again I think I will play it out since the rake isn't as much of a factor at the higher limits and they are taking money from me whether I chop or not.