Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 04:36 PM

Default Re: A4 fold from SB against BB

ouch, that sort of stung

-Pete
Old 12-14-2004, 04:37 PM

"BB was not overly aggresive or loose"

Totally depends on EXACTLY how/what he has been playing. I don't think I'd get him to fold except with maybe an all-in (although A4o isn't exactly a hand I'd want to all-in with). I'd also consider that the 2 shortstacks are about to lose 450 chips apiece to blinds, and with any luck both will get knocked out.

As long as he wasn't overly aggressive, he would fold unless he has something. If you won the all-in he's now only equal leader, and can't bully the way he could before. If he was overly aggressive he may call but you'd probally still be the better side of a coinflip. If you won then you are basically guaranteed of a place, with a great shot at 1st.

On paper I'd say all-in. Anyone thinking this is a bad move?
Old 12-14-2004, 04:46 PM

only just read the other posts, wanted to do this one myself. I'm a newbie so I wanted to think about it before I posted, so you guys don't laugh [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2004, 06:50 PM

I would not push right here. Small unsuited aces make extremely poor "last stand" hands against a big stack. If the BB calls, you are likely looking at a bigger ace or a pocket pair higher than 4s, and that spells D-O-M-I-N-A-T-E-D.

I would push with any pair, any 2 broadway cards, or A9. Maybe even large suited connectors. Definitely not with A4o.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:00 PM

If BB calls with only the hands you mention (~15% of the time) then I'm pushing with any two.

IMO, with A4 it doesn't matter if he's tight or loose. If he's tight I don't care what my cards are. If he's loose then I'm happy to have A high.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I would push with any pair, any 2 broadway cards, or A9. Maybe even large suited connectors. Definitely not with A4o.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you would push with KQ, KJ, KT, QJ, QT, and JT, but fold A-4. That's 96 holdem hands you would push with that are behind A-4 hot and cold. Anybody else see a problem with that?

This whole thread should have a warning on it "read at own risk."

Irieguy
Old 12-14-2004, 07:20 PM

Why not limp, I think this is a perfect opportunity since you hand has showdown value should it get checked all the way, and if you hit an A, you know your hand is likely good.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BB was not overly aggresive or loose

[/ QUOTE ]

Push. With two short stacks left of 5, you're usually not going to get into the money by just folding it down and hoping they get knocked out (and when you do fold into the money, you'll usually be very short stacked). A good (well-timed) offense is often the best defense in bubble/near-bubble situations like this.

Sucks the few times BB will pick up a hand, call and win, but it also sucks when you pass up good steal opportunities like this and that (folding til you get short stacked and have to make a desparate move with some crap that easily gets picked off) is what ends up costing you getting into the money.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So you would push with KQ, KJ, KT, QJ, QT, and JT, but fold A-4. That's 96 holdem hands you would push with that are behind A-4 hot and cold. Anybody else see a problem with that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, but it makes some sense. If Villain is calling with only A5+ and 55+ and you've already decided you're pushing, you're clearly better off with KQ than A4.

Irie, I'm sure you've seen the thread that ranks call hands when you're pushed into but I've never seen one that ranks which hands are best to push with given a subset of calling hands from your opponent.

However, I suspect that all aces are still worth pushing because if a player is tight enough to make A2 an automatic dog if called, you should probably be pushing any two cards.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:23 PM

I agree with most of what you say except the first few points about the villain's calling standards. People always say "if villain will call with any ace and any pair, then..." I don't know a villain that won't call all-in with KQ, KJs, etc.

Your last point is very insightful: if your opponent is so tight that an ace rates to be behind, you should be pushing any two. I agree.

Irieguy