Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 03:36 PM

Default Re: $9000 Guaranteed Final Table Hand

Hero pushes preflop.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:40 PM

A push has the benefit of folding many hands with 6 outs, and possibly AK-AT (Obviously, not AJ), and MAYYYBE a small pair 55-22 (again... not 44).

I think that villian will instacall with any other pair, given that the flop probably missed me, from his POV, and may even call with AK,AQ due to that same logic, although he's more likely to open push with these hands than check/call.

Of course, if he calls, I'm drawing at 3 outs at most with the distinct possibility of drawing at runner runner A A.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:51 PM

I meant hero pushes PF.

ATF hero needs to know where he is at. I would bet T30,000. I don't think most villain's will want to continue without the best hand here, especially with the third player all in.

I think if you check behind villain will bet the turn.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:59 PM

I hadn't really considered just pushing PF. I usually like a little bit of a stronger hand for this move, personally, considering the big stack behind me, and the fact that it's obvious I'm isolating the BB.

It does, however, give me a better chance of folding out SBs weaker holdings.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:02 PM

I guess that the thing that I'm most curious about in this hand is how people think that villian will respond to my raise given the all in BB.

How much do you think villian loosens up/tightens up his hand range?

What about if I push?
Old 08-23-2005, 04:05 PM

Tough one. I think I'd probably check behind on the flop. Ideally the SB will check it down and one of you two can knock out the short stack. If the SB bets on the turn, if I felt he was weak I might push over the top.

I don't think a call preflop is that bad if you're relatively certain the SB will be willing to check it down. I would personally probably avoid this hand altogether as the BB is forced to go all-in and the SB should be calling with any two. I wouldn't want to get mixed up with the big stack.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:13 PM

I think the default position is that villain will play tight with his stack and hope to move up through attrition. For this villain chips lost are more valuable than chips won.

You've only told us that he got lucky and tripled up with AA, not that he's been stealing every 3rd hand, or been very active.

He's got time to pick his spots, and he will get to see your hand anyways.

This is the same reason I bet ATF.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:30 PM

<10xBB~~~~~Push
antes~~~~~~Push
Position~~~~Push
Stack Sizes~~~~Push (Villan is less likely to call knowing he can see your cards in a showdown)
Cards~~~Borderline

The last thing I am doing is making a small raise. The Villan may have thought he was doing you a favor by calling, trying to know out the small stack.

You cant run a pure mathematical anlysis of this without all of the stack sizes and the pay out structure, but I have a feeling this is a unexploitable push.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Results

7 handed. Blinds $8,000/$16000. Ante: $800
Dealt to Hero A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Pot PF: $25600

<font color="grey">3 folds to hero.</font> <font color="red">Hero Raises to $40,000</font> <font color="grey">Button Folds</font>. Villian Calls $40,000. BB is all in for $12,000.

Flop (Main Pot: $36,000. Side Pot: $56,000): J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villian Checks. <font color="red">Hero bets $110,000 (all-in)</font>. Villian Calls $110,000.

Turn: [J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
River: [J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB shows K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I am shocked when Villian tables J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for 3 of a kind.

Hero finishes 6th.

The fact that Villian made a very loose call PF (very unexpected given his previous play) is why I thought this was an interesting hand.

After the hand, I decided that Villian probably loosened up his calling standards considerably given the all in BB, and a chance to knock out at least one, and maybe 2 players.

I was just wondering if others thought that he might have done so, or would have done so themselves, since it didn't occur to me at the time that this was likely.

As far as the flop bet goes, I think that I agree with the other posters that a small bet of $30K or so would probably have been the best, since he will fold many hands with 6 outs, giving me credit for being able to knock out the BB, and will let me know if I'm beat.

I am also feeling that a push PF might have been better, since it doesn't let SB in with any mediocre-&gt;bad holdings just to knock us out.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think if you check behind villain will bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that the only way villian doesn't bet the turn is if he has a boat or better.