Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 01:59 AM

Default Re: (22\'s) - Just turned nut flush on a paired board.....now what?

possibly too weak tight...
Obviously, I push it in a heartbeat late, but I don't like to play hands where I'm not confident in my kicker... A10 suited is 10 w/ A kicker to me, not the other way around. I want to be confident in my kicker every time I play something. Ez to muck early, late game ez push...
Old 10-25-2005, 02:04 AM

What was your reasoning for not raising the turn?
Old 10-25-2005, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What was your reasoning for not raising the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Stupidity. I see now that I definitely should have. I hit my hand and that player had minbet/folded a couple of times in the SnG, so I figured...don't raise him, give him an opportunity to bluff (or what might appear to him to be value bet) the river.

As it happens, I called, he hit a 2-outer on the river to make 8's full, and I busted out. Had I merely raised, the likelihood the hand ever goes to the river is much lower. And I take Scuba's point...he just named his own drawing price on me. At the price that he named, he had odds to draw to his boat. Just a bad decision is all. Glad I received some decent flaming on it.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:54 AM

Limping preflop is totally fine.

On the flop I think betting and checking are both alright. Betting will rarely win the pot right there, but you're not particularly likely to get check-raised, and if you miss, you will likely be able to take a free card on the turn. You will have a bigger pot to win those times you hit, your hand will be disguised, and your pair outs will gain value. Checking is ok too I think as it's free and leaves more players in the pot to pay you off in case you do make your hand.

Once you bet though I think you should definitely raise the turn. The chance of him having a boat on the turn are slim to none, and your bet on the flop has disguised your hand. Continue building the pot by making a solid raise to represent a good hand trying to take it down, but willing to fold on the off chance opponent has made a flush or trips.

The river is ugly as I think you're beat there fairly often, but you still gotta call.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:58 AM

Huh? Did he somehow make 8s full?
Old 10-25-2005, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess he did in this hand but I was just saying that in general, when a $20s player suddenly overbet-pushes the river on a paired flush board after playing passively on every other street, they have your nut flush beat unpleasantly often.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess he did in this hand but I was just saying that in general, when a $20s player suddenly overbet-pushes the river on a paired flush board after playing passively on every other street, they have your nut flush beat unpleasantly often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, 8's full. Not raising the turn was a big gaffe. I was getting greedy with my flush, not wanting to lose action, and I played like a donkey.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:06 AM

I'm stunned. I'd be more than willing to type "Ilya is the greatest hand reader in the world" 50 times.

Nevermind, didn't read a previous post where you mentioned that he did in fact make 8s full.

I will write "Ilya is results oriented" 50 times though.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:13 AM

Raise it up on the turn. There's no way I'm giving my opponent credit for turning a full house when they just flat called the flop on that board. Maybe, but I don't think so. But you need to make pairs and top pair pay for the river card (Theory of Poker stuff). You don't have to make them pay like you would on a two tone flop, but you must make them pay.

I'dve raised the turn to something like 150.

I like your limp, and I like your flop bet. I'dve done the same.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do whatever you think will get the money in on the turn. And if you want to hide your screenname, make sure you replace it on all streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should also hide the game # also. i sent party a request for the hand number and got your screen name.