Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Would you call this River Bet when it\'s 2 back 2 u?

Why no 3-bet...

I only called the PF bet because they noticed I was playing tight, and the last couple of times I came in with a raise I didn't get much action. Most will say it's a mistake, but it seemed like a good play at that table, at that time.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why no 3-bet...

I only called the PF bet because they noticed I was playing tight, and the last couple of times I came in with a raise I didn't get much action. Most will say it's a mistake, but it seemed like a good play at that table, at that time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that's enough of a reason to smooth call a preflop raise with two players already in the pot. This is your opportunity to make and to collect a big pot as you're reasonably likely going to get some action out of the the initial raiser.

If you notice you're playing tight, you should try to raise *MORE* hands, not raise *LESS* hands. If you're really getting that much respect for your raises (and it's not a matter of players simply not having hands those couple times), then you're leaving money at the table by not opening up your aggression.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:29 PM

I'd be pretty comfortable folding here. Yeah preflop lack of 3 bet stinks.

-DeathDonkey
Old 06-10-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be pretty comfortable folding here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yo tambien.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:20 PM

I know the PF play isn't why you posted the hand but I think you're brushing this off too easily as being "correct for the situation".

#1 There is a call and a raise in front of you from fishy players. They will not magically fold to your 3-bet, they will 90% likely call it down.

#2 a 3-bet increases the chances of folding out the 3 players behind you giving you the button, and isolating the fish

#3 A 3-bet decreases the odds given to the blinds, making them more likely to fold putting dead money in the pot

As a result of your cold-call you ended up getting a call from the BB, for a total of 8.5sb's (contributing 2).

Had you raised and had both players call you would have 10.5sb's in the pot (contributing 3) so essentially an extra sb up for grab.

In addition to the extra bet there is one less player in the hand, increasing your pot equity.

Obviously 3-betting is +EV even if the rest of the table left to act is tight as hell.

edit: Should also add. Since villian is playing very aggressively you could get a loose 3-way cap from him making for an even better situation.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:42 PM

Aaron and Krimson,

Your both right, and thanks for your help. I never limp/call with monster hands, and I know how much of a mistake it is. I will go as far as calling it a SIN not to 3 bet there. But in the heat of the moment I felt like I could really hammer the two fish. In a couple of previous hands one fish folded to my aggression, and the other called down.

Truth be told at the instance I hit call I disregarded the fact that I could have stole the button, or got out drawn by say the SB. And I think it's safe to say that was the 1st and last time I do that. I was semi-tilting and wanted to punish them. But by not 3-betting I could have punished my self.

And just in case anyone is wondering I called down even though I knew better. More of the the semi-tilt I guess. That and I really want to see the cards.

River: (24.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">donkmasterR bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">villian raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">donkmasterR 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">villian caps</font>, Hero calls, donkmasterR calls.

Final Pot: 36.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
donkmasterR has Td 8d (one pair, tens).
villian has Ad Qh (straight, ace high).
Hero has Ac Ah (three of a kind, aces).
Outcome: villian wins 36.25 BB. </font>
Old 06-10-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I only called the PF bet because they noticed I was playing tight

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...
Old 06-10-2005, 02:53 PM

Did you ever sit at 35+ VPIP table for 40 minutes of crap cards folding the whole time? Then you raise and everyone folds? You win the blinds. Yippee. Well that was this table, and after that happens 2-3 times I feel like I should find another table because they are on to me. So I ask you WWJD?
Old 06-10-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you ever sit at 35+ VPIP table for 40 minutes of crap cards folding the whole time? Then you raise and everyone folds? You win the blinds. Yippee. Well that was this table, and after that happens 2-3 times I feel like I should find another table because they are on to me. So I ask you WWJD?

[/ QUOTE ]
Open up your raising standards on the Button, CO, and MP3. Be sure to show down at least one low one-gapper like 97s or something. That'll get them going.

Or find a new table. Whatever works.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know what Johnny would do, but I know what Kumubou would do -- keep raising. If they really are folding to any EP raise from you, loosen your standards. Start pissing people off. Get them to play back at you with crap. Run through their shit like you pay the rent.

(It's frustrating to see everyone get tons of action on their monster hands except you... but buh. Start kicking people in the mean bean machine.)

-K