Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Wow, thanks.

A post "just because" of me. I'm honored. Truly. Usually I get a bit frightened when I see my name in a post title, but this one was an exception.

Great thinking on the turn and river, as ever.

BTW, a yutz is Yiddush for, basically, a ditz, clutz, dumkoft, ninny, nincompoop, socially incompetant boob, twit, or dumbass. First time I've seen it used in the same sentence with the word "sir."
Old 10-05-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Just because I think Andy will like this one....

Nice post. I wonder what kind of image you are looking for after making this call. I'm thinking that your best response to his "I missed" was to turn over your cards dejectedly and say "yeah I missed too, just wanted to see what you had", and then look surprised as they push you the pot.

Now you've given off the image of an uber-calling-moron, which of course couldn't be farther from the truth, not to mention the tilt-inducing I-can't-belive-he-just-called-to-see-and-won, oh-my-god-that-pot-was-mine response you should get out of your opponent (of course, you get some of this anyways).

Anyways, nice hand.

-Eric
Old 10-05-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ahh, the good ol' days when poker made sense...

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite line. Nice hand, and nice post.

Rob
Old 10-05-2005, 02:30 PM

My friends know that I've had a man crush on Jeff W 'cause of his strat posts and have taken to referring to him as my "Poker God".

I'm kinda sad about the not chopping thing, but the rest of this rules so damn hard.

It reminds me of some line from the "funniest lines heard at the table" thread.

"Jack High"

"What's your kicker"

"Eight"

"It's Good"
Old 10-05-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My friends know that I've had a man crush on Jeff W 'cause of his strat posts and have taken to referring to him as my "Poker God".

I'm kinda sad about the not chopping thing, but the rest of this rules so damn hard.

It reminds me of some line from the "funniest lines heard at the table" thread.

"Jack High"

"What's your kicker"

"Eight"

"It's Good"

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you mean Jeff W or Josh W? Josh W recently got really confused. If your mancrush is on me, um thanks. But if it's on Jeff (who's posting more than me these days), well, go screw yourself. Kidding, kidding. But seriously, it's nice to hear, and if it's on Jeff, you should let him know.

[regarding chopping...i chopped for years, but then i saw too often the "i chop, i chop, i chop, i chop, oooh, i have a big hand, so i don't chop" behaviour, so I stopped. Just easier this way]

jOSH w
Old 10-05-2005, 02:37 PM

I do mean Jeff W.

Christ, I had no idea there were two of you, now I've got to go back and re-read everything over the past like 4 months to see what the hell is going on.

The story was good enough that I can elevate you to some kinda poker demi-god of storytelling status.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now you've given off the image of an uber-calling-moron...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the entire point of how Josh tabled his hand was to convey the exact opposite.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the entire point of how Josh tabled his hand was to convey the exact opposite.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know. That's the point I'm trying to make. I wonder if "this guy is an idiot calling station" is more profitable than "this guy can really play". After all, "this guy can really play" is an accurate image, while "this guy sucks" is totally wrong. Wouldn't we want our image to be different than the way we actually play? If our opponents think one way and we play another, we may create some profitable opportunities.

-Eric
Old 10-05-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know. That's the point I'm trying to make. I wonder if "this guy is an idiot calling station" is more profitable than "this guy can really play". After all, "this guy can really play" is an accurate image, while "this guy sucks" is totally wrong. Wouldn't we want our image to be different than the way we actually play? If our opponents think one way and we play another, we may create some profitable opportunities.

-Eric

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not what they think that's important, it's how they play.

If they think "wow, he's really good", that means nothing. If it leads my opponent to then think "I need to play perfectly to win", and he goes out and does it, obviously that was a bad image to convey to him, as it elevated his game.

However, if his initial thought is followed up with "I don't wanna play any pots with him", then it's a profitable image to convey.

Conversely, if they think "wow, he's an uber-calling station", and it leads them to make very thin value bets on the river (with all ace highs, maybe some king highs, etc), then I'll be put in a tricky spot, because I'll have to start making marginal river calls. however if it makes them think "I shoulnd't bet unless i have a really good hand, cuz he's gonna call everything", then it's helpful for me to have this image.

Succinctly, it's not the image you portray that matters. It's what your image makes your opponents do that matters.

Josh
Old 10-05-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tabled my hand and proudly announced "Nut Jack high", thinking he may very easily have J8, and I didn't wanna slowroll and just announce jack-high.

He flashed my 98, shakes his head in disbelief, and says nice hand.

Ahh, the good ol' days when poker made sense...

Josh

[/ QUOTE ]

NH.

And quite a nice post.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com