Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 01:22 PM

Default Re: How is my line with this set?

hm it really depends... if your at a table where teheres not much action post flop then.. theres no point to call that 5$ preflop bc your only gonna hit the flop 1/8.. and w/o decent implied odds. such as AK or somethin pushing his stack then i dont see hwy u should play it
Old 08-17-2005, 01:26 PM

Cubs-
If it makes you feel any better, I would have folded preflop, too. However, I'm not very confident with my postflop play with small pairs, so I hate acting in EP in a raised pot with them. Late position I would consider a call.

This is interesting and I would love to hear more opinions.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:35 PM

wow cubs...you make a lot of money at NL by calling these raises with small pocket pairs and hitting sets...you should be calling all standard raises with these (4-5 big blinds). Use the 5/10 rule here, it's a clear call.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:38 PM

What is the 5/10 rule?
Old 08-17-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the 5/10 rule?

[/ QUOTE ]

Less than 5% of effective stack, always call. And by always, I mean any situation that isn't you in the SB and someone open raises from CO/button, because you almost never get paid there.

More than 10% of effective stack, never call. And by never, I mean in a situation where your PP is rarely good (like you have 55, he has TT-AA and AK).

In between, it depends on position, if you might be good, postflop play, etc.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:30 PM

Maybe it's because I play at PokerStars. Everyone says the $25NL game is very tight compared to other sites. It's possible that I'm just not used to getting paid off when I make a big hand, which could skew my philosophy on set farming.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised by this response. Maybe there's a leak in my game. I always fold mid-low pocket pairs from EP when I'm facing a decent raise unless there are at least 3 other people coming into the pot with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's limit thinking. Small pairs are gold in NL in raised pots. Just set it or forget it. So easy to get away from. I play any pocket pair vs. a standard 4-5xBB raise every time and PT says all my pocket pairs are making money all the way down to 22.

Try it, you'll like it!
Old 08-17-2005, 03:21 PM

you don't always get paid off with your sets, but you get paid off often enough to make it worth it. Flopping a set against top pair is a thing of beauty if you are up against a donk because they'll go to the felt with it. It also takes some skill at getting the money in which comes with time.

Also Xorbie had a good point, that out of position it's much tougher to get paid off unless you know that the raiser is super aggro and if you hit your set you have a solid chance of getting the money in. Also a guy that never raises anything but Kk or AA is good to farm against in any position because he's unlikely to be able to fold these.

On a side note, play party dude....the nl 25 tables are so ridiculously fishy it isn't even funny. I drop down there to play lag maniac and it's like taking candy from babies.