Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2004, 05:37 PM

Default Re: For example...

Click me.

Lost Wages
Old 06-03-2004, 06:57 PM

Default Re: I am looking for feedback on my Limit Hold\'em book

Took a quick look through some of it. I do like that you work out the math, seems like alot of books don't actually write out the problems mathematically (just words), which can help you follow the concept. I think the EV chapter might belong after the chapter on outs and pot odds though. Since the idea of EV utilizes concepts of both of those it would make sense to introduce them to the reader before applying them.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:23 PM

lol nice one!
I'm hoping my interpretation of one post as posts in one thread is accurate!
Old 06-03-2004, 07:25 PM

The problem is that I do use the concept of EV in the pot odds section. These concepts are intertwined, arranging them in a linear fashion is difficult, but I do think the Expected Value chapter should come before the Pot Odds chapter since it is more basic.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We want to turn break-even or modestly winning players into big winners at the small stakes level. Goals are teaching people the skills necessary to win $50,000 per year or more at $3-$6 playing a full schedule online. Specific concepts that we are trying to teach:

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Everyone:

before anyone jumps on this we are thinking of the Internet where you can play multiple games and perhaps get as many as 150 hands per hour.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 06-03-2004, 11:43 PM

At first glance, pretty good (for beginners)! I'll read fully and post more comments later.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:27 AM

before anyone jumps on this we are thinking of the Internet where you can play multiple games and perhaps get as many as 150 hands per hour.

For what it's worth, it's possible to play a lot more than 150 hands per hour online. Just as an example, a 10 handed Party Poker game about 60 hands per hour per table. Three tables is pretty normal for multi-table players, which is 180 hands per hour. Many players play 250+ hands per hour by playing short handed or more than three tables.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:21 AM

Sounds like a very good recommendation Ed. If I picked the book up and saw that the first part of it was explaining the basic rules of the game and terminology, I would probably put it back assuming it isn't really worthwhile for a relatively knowledgable player.

By the way Ed, I'm looking forward to reading your book. I'm sure it will turn out to be a must read for any low limit player.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Took a quick look through some of it. I do like that you work out the math, seems like alot of books don't actually write out the problems mathematically (just words), which can help you follow the concept.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll second that. At a quick glance it looks like you have done a good job showing how you arrived at various EV, odds, etc. I feel most books do a very poor job of this and I don't think the average person gets nearly enough out of just reading over a chart listing certain odds as opposed to getting at least a basic understanding of the math behind it.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:27 AM

Default Think marketing!

Ed is right not only from an author/reader perspective, but from a marketing perspective.

I gather (correct me if I'm wrong) that Pi Yee press is Stanford Wong's imprint. I don't know what acceptance process Pi Yee has for manuscripts, but the first thing most publishers will ask you for is a proposal that includes a market analysis.

A market analysis looks at these things: What readership are you hoping to serve? What competing titles already exist in this space? And how will your book be better/different than these competing titles? There are so many books out now on hold'em that unless you are a revolutionary genius, you are likely going to have to define your audience in very specific, relatively narrow terms. If you're just repeating the same old stuff about expected value, that's not enough. People can already get that in existing books.

I'd also suggest that once you know your intended reader as completely as possible, all the way down to which shoe he puts on first in the morning, think how you're going to convey to him that he IS your intended reader - starting with the title and subtitle of the book. Again, think specific, not general.