Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Play Along: Hand Protection and Pot Odds

I disagree that a check/raise sucks. BB may fold for a single bet from the button, depending on what sort of player he is, and I'd be quite happy facing CO with two cold in this very large pot. A c/r does indeed protect our hand from him. You're much less likely to get 3bet on the flop by a worse hand than you are to get raised, so it has the side benefit of making the rest of the hand easier to play.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree that a check/raise sucks. BB may fold for a single bet from the button, depending on what sort of player he is, and I'd be quite happy facing CO with two cold in this very large pot. A c/r does indeed protect our hand from him. You're much less likely to get 3bet on the flop by a worse hand than you are to get raised, so it has the side benefit of making the rest of the hand easier to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that a C/R on the flop wouldn't suck, but I don't think it's the best way to play the hand. What do you think?
Old 11-29-2005, 12:31 AM

I do like the 2bet facing the CO. I guess I'm just a little timid on being 3bet by the aggressor and i would really like to peel off another card.

I guess its an easy fold if its 3bet on the flop. For me this position just makes this a tough hand for me to play.

by making it easier to play after a chk/raise I'm assuming you bet into opponent on the turn if its HU and fold to a raise. If called behind on Turn--lead river and fold to raise.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:54 AM

Or we could just check and call the flop. Betting is just about the worst option here. It really only becomes easy to play when he just calls the flop bet, but it is just as easy when you check/call-bet it. It just throws you out into no man's land when he raises. Now what is the plan? Call it down? Fold UI? Donk?

Brad
Old 11-29-2005, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok let's see.

He 3 bet's preflop and raise the flop. What type of hands can he have. He wouldn't do this with 77 or lower that's for sure. Would he 3 bet preflop with 99? It's either TT+ in terms of pocket pairs and how do you think about AQs AQo? I will give him a TT+ AKs range here because of his actions and against that range, we are not in a good condition, 4-1 underdog. I fold it here feeling good about myself.

But if I was to call, I bet any non scary non heart turn and fold to a raise since that makes me 100% of TT+.

Seems like I am the only one folding here.

[/ QUOTE ]

We are not a 4-1 underdog. If his range is only TT+, AKo, AKs, AQs, then pokerstove gives us 43% equity against villain.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only gave him TT+ AKs as a range and with his actions, I make the AKs stand for AK of hearts. So yes, we are a 4-1 underdog.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:00 AM

I've stopped capping JJ OOP and I think I'm better for it.
So preflop fine.

I check raise that flop.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok let's see.

He 3 bet's preflop and raise the flop. What type of hands can he have. He wouldn't do this with 77 or lower that's for sure. Would he 3 bet preflop with 99? It's either TT+ in terms of pocket pairs and how do you think about AQs AQo? I will give him a TT+ AKs range here because of his actions and against that range, we are not in a good condition, 4-1 underdog. I fold it here feeling good about myself.

But if I was to call, I bet any non scary non heart turn and fold to a raise since that makes me 100% of TT+.

Seems like I am the only one folding here.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are onto something, Heaven. However, I am not necessarily sure that button's handrange is so narrow. He 3-bets preflop after an MP openraiser (who does not necessarily have a big hand) called by a loose CO (who neither necessarily has a big hand), so if button is good he can see value in 3-betting a lot of hands. He also may raise with overs/ OESD/ flush draw etc. for a free card so a call is warranted. I would 3-bet to charge CO for his mediocre hand and see if button caps (the flop is the cheapest street to do this). As you write, a reevalution is necessary on the turn.

P.S. I am not sure what is the best play in this hand.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Only read is CO is 38/9 after 160 hands

Pre-Flop: Hero is MP with J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
3 folds, Hero raises, 1 fold, cutoff calls, button 3-bets, 1 fold, BB calls, Hero calls, cutoff calls.

<font color="blue"> </font> I know, I pussed out by not capping.

Flop: (12 sb) T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BB checks, Hero bets, cutoff calls, button raises, BB folds, Hero calls

Turn: (9.25 BB) T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero ???

[/ QUOTE ]

Now what?
Old 11-29-2005, 02:50 PM

I cap preflop and 3-bet the flop. Overpair plus backdoor straight draw has to have some good equity. Plus since you played it weakly but not capping preflop people may not put you on an overpair.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Only read is CO is 38/9 after 160 hands

Pre-Flop: Hero is MP with J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
3 folds, Hero raises, 1 fold, cutoff calls, button 3-bets, 1 fold, BB calls, Hero calls, cutoff calls.

<font color="blue"> </font> I know, I pussed out by not capping.

Flop: (12 sb) T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BB checks, Hero bets, cutoff calls, button raises, BB folds, Hero Calls - I assume

Turn (9.25 BB) T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero ???

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Call the floor immediately!! 2 Tc?!?