Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Play Along: Hand Protection and Pot Odds (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=387210)

Bill Lumberg 11-28-2005 10:10 PM

Play Along: Hand Protection and Pot Odds

Only read is CO is 38/9 after 160 hands

Pre-Flop: Hero is MP with J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
3 folds, Hero raises, 1 fold, cutoff calls, button 3-bets, 1 fold, BB calls, Hero calls, cutoff calls.

<font color="blue"> </font> I know, I pussed out by not capping.

Flop: (12 sb) T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BB checks, Hero bets, cutoff calls, button raises, BB folds, Hero ???

Play along, I'll post the turn and river after discussion of the flop.

11-28-2005 10:13 PM

Re: Play Along: Hand Protection and Pot Odds

I 3-bet this flop.

J. Stew 11-28-2005 10:18 PM

Calls, we have overpair plus back door draws. I put button on AA-TT, maybe nines, plus A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], maybe AK off too. Let's call and see the turn.

Bill Lumberg 11-28-2005 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I 3-bet this flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is this better than calling?

Mathieu 11-28-2005 10:40 PM

With 16-1 pot odds, an overpair and some backdoor draws, we have to at least call here. I don't think we are ahead* often enough to warrant a reraise so I call this flop.

* The typical opponent will usually not raise AKo here, and AhKh, AhQh are actually ahead of us now.

11-28-2005 10:43 PM

call, and evaluate on the turn

11-28-2005 10:50 PM

I check with the intent of raising a bet back to me or folding if it's two back. BB concerns me more than button because he called two cold knowing it was 3 bet in front. If Button raises and big blind calls I'm popping it to see how much the button really likes his hand.

11-28-2005 10:54 PM

PF cap is not a huge mistake only because you will be OOP the rest of the hand. I think I call the 3bet on the flop. JJ is very good but your position is sucks.

I call the flop with the backdoor str8 and flush draw and possibility of trips draw. I think Button raise on the flop is a sign of strength (based on no reads) and its now heads up.

I reevaluate the turn

Bill Lumberg 11-28-2005 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I check with the intent of raising a bet back to me or folding if it's two back. BB concerns me more than button because he called two cold knowing it was 3 bet in front. If Button raises and big blind calls I'm popping it to see how much the button really likes his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check-raising won't protect your hand and a lot of turn cards can kill your hand, so I don't think that's the best play here. As for BB calling, he could have a wide range of hands. If button raises and BB calls, you already know he likes his hand, what would raising accomplish?

Bill Lumberg 11-28-2005 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PF cap is not a huge mistake only because you will be OOP the rest of the hand. I think I call the 3bet on the flop. JJ is very good but your position is sucks.

I call the flop with the backdoor str8 and flush draw and possibility of trips draw. I think Button raise on the flop is a sign of strength (based on no reads) and its now heads up.

I reevaluate the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to reread the OP.