Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Another \"moving up\" post

[ QUOTE ]
Who is ridiculous?
You have 1000+ posts here and you never read before about the 300BB bankroll rule , about 50-100BB downswings being normal etc etc ??

[/ QUOTE ]

I know about the 300 BB rule, don't be foolish. That assumes you're a winning player Kapo. My problem with your comments were that you were acting like 100 BB downswings are nothing. They are certainly something.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:52 PM

Cool down with those adjectives (foolish, ridiculous etc). I'm not your high school mate.
You don't know if you are a winning player until you play. 100BB downswings are not nice but are expected to happen.
My name is not "kapo".
Old 06-16-2005, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who is ridiculous?
You have 1000+ posts here and you never read before about the 300BB bankroll rule , about 50-100BB downswings being normal etc etc ??

[/ QUOTE ]

Following such advice is a sure-fire way to go bust.

Work on your game at .5/1 first -- it'll save you money, especially if you don't turn out to be a winning player yet.

Just because you have 300BB at the higher limit doesn't mean you should be moving up. .5/1, 1/2, and 2/4, as much as you might object, are different games, and require slightly different adjustments.

EDIT: they are normal yes, but you may think that you are on a downswing when you have some major leaks.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have the BR for 2/4 don't play 0.5/1 or even 1/2. You are not going to learn anything useful. If you find out that your experience is not good enough then you can move back down.

[/ QUOTE ]

This advice is only good if his roll is replenishable. Nine times out of ten, this is not the case.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you have the BR for 2/4 don't play 0.5/1 or even 1/2. You are not going to learn anything useful. If you find out that your experience is not good enough then you can move back down.

[/ QUOTE ]

This advice is only good if his roll is replenishable. Nine times out of ten, this is not the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I'd have thought that for the vast majority of normal people, a 300BB roll at 0.5/1 or even 2/4 is easily replenishable. (Whether you are willing to do and whether it is advisable or not is another story.)

I agree that jumping from .25/.5 to 2/4 is probably somewhat drastic though.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:18 PM

Right now I'm leaning toward playing .5/1 and seeing how that goes first. Someone had mentioned playing 10k hands at that level. Do you guys think that number of hands would give me a fair assessment? I've read on here a couple times about moving up if you can get 300BB in 10k hands. I'd rather not spent more time than necessary at .5/1 but I do believe it will be good for my game to get some stats and post some hands.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:38 AM

I suggest you go to .5/1. For most people, to do anything else strikes me as foolhardy. But maybe your one of the few for whom skipping a level would be no problem. What's your rush, anyway? You don't think doubling the stakes is substantial enough?

By the way, I am one of the persons who posted recently I had trouble with 1/2. But I was multitabling and playing extended sessions to clear bonii. I played a couple of 1 table sessions since then and did quite well with them.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's your rush, anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]
No rush really. Like I said, I have the BR for 2/4, but I know that's a bit drastic to move up that far. I figured I could avoid the transition from .5/1 to 1/2 and just start off getting used to the 1/2 tables. But it seems the consensus is .5/1 is a better move.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:22 PM

I think you're making a smart move. I personally would make sure you're beating .50/1 over at least 5k-10k hands for a decent rate, then move up to 1/2 full ring and 6-max as there is a ton to be learned there.