Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 06:28 PM

Default Re: bad run or something i have to work on? stats included

First off you only have 500 hands of 1/2 which is a pretty small sample. However, regarding why you're running worse
at 1/2 with same VP$IP as before, I can think of several reasons why it's more costly at the higher limits.

1. Playing speculative hands out of position like small PP's and low suited connectors are more likely to get the additional limpers needed to be profitable. As the game gets tighter these mistakes become more costly.

2. Relative hand value is reduced. Similar to the first one, your questionable hands become unprofitable when your
opponents tighten up and play better hands.

3. More aggressive opponents. Those that isolate you and
make you pay more than one bet on these weak holdings are
now making you pay more to play these cards.

I agree that 27 is too high, for both limits in question.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... I doubt that our friend here plays that well postflop if he doesn't see why having a 26 VP$IP at Party 1/2 is a bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

my play is not good, by any means. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

i'll try to play tighter for at least 1000 hands or so at 1/2. my question was really what it is i need to adjust, since i thought my stats didn't differ that much but the results did. of course, 1/2 probably has more tighter players.

thanks
Old 06-16-2005, 06:31 PM

You need to stop playing speculatuve hands out of position. No more limping T9s from EP, etc.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:35 PM

What's your aggression factor? (Not counting preflop aggression). You should be in the 2-3 range, give or take. If that number is way off your postflop play may also be part of the problem.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:35 PM

You need to tighten up at 1/2.

-Jaran
Old 06-16-2005, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's your aggression factor? (Not counting preflop aggression). You should be in the 2-3 range, give or take. If that number is way off your postflop play may also be part of the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, slowly increasing. aggregate over all the hands, it's 1.5. but over the last 2k hands it's closing on 2.0
Old 06-16-2005, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
... I doubt that our friend here plays that well postflop if he doesn't see why having a 26 VP$IP at Party 1/2 is a bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

my play is not good, by any means. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

i'll try to play tighter for at least 1000 hands or so at 1/2. my question was really what it is i need to adjust, since i thought my stats didn't differ that much but the results did. of course, 1/2 probably has more tighter players.

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

10k hands isn't that much, to be honest.

Tightening up by 6-8% is A LOT -- I honestly don't this is something that you can just say you will "tighten up" and fix it (for example, I play at 18%, when I tried to loosen up at .5/1, I ran about 19.5%). I'm very convinced that your preflop play is a pretty significant leak in your game.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:57 PM

1. A VPIP of 27% is too damn high. You're not just playing a few marginal hands here and there; you're playing garbage. There are some players who can get by with VPIPs over 20%, and a few who can push the envelope out to 23% or so, but if you are able to consistenly win with a VPIP of 27% you should be teaching others, not asking if you're just running bad or not. 27% is too high for .5/1, and it's way too high for 1/2. By way of comparison, you are playing about half again as many hands as I am.

2. Yes, it looks like you've been running pretty bad at 1/2. It's a small sample, but your W$SD is very poor, which is often a sign that you've been getting outflopped/outdrawn unusually often.

3. Nice avatar.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:06 PM

I think his VP$IP is inflated because of his attempts to steal blinds. Granted, 27 may be too high even given the attempts to steal blinds, but I don't know either way. I'm no Poker Tracker expert, but it looks like you're running pretty damn badly. You might want to post your positional stats; I think those will say more with regards to how loose you are.

Edit: Looking over things a bit more, you probably are a bit loose. There's no reason to defend your SB as much as you are (unless you've been getting very good cards in the SB). You also might be completing the SB a little too liberally, but I'm not sure. Not to mention the fact that 500 hands doesn't mean much.