Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2005, 05:05 AM

Default Re: Please Read and Respond

Thanks for taking the time to answer this. That really means alot. I honestly think you may be right, but then again i don't know. The thing w/ being an addicted gambler is that "most" (i guess, i dont really know) crave action of all kind. I dont bet on hardly anything outside of poker and when i do, i always make sure i have the best of it, or in some cases ill make a meaningless $5 bet w/ a friend on my favorite team even tho i know im probably a dog (dont read this as me being a sports bettor, i don't bet sports except for on my team, and only very small amounts). Also, I understand your point on the "you never had 4k," but i also think that "tilt" or whatever you want to call it was a huge factor. I know this sounds like me rationalizing, and in part I am, but i believe dont truly believe that the only reason i lose in cash games is because i only "gamble." I play good at first, then worse, and then i blow it, granted this has happened 3 times. I hope this made some sense and also hope you will reply as your opinion as a "real" pro means alot to me.

Edit: I also realize that in my op, i made it sound as tho i never win in cash games. Actually i win in them alot more than a lose, but that doesn't matter much win my average win for a session of 2/4 or 3/6 (what i usually play) is only around 30 bux.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:16 AM

Well now you're denying the addiction, it's like a circle that never ends..

You sound like a compulsive gambler, playing for stakes which you have no business in. Re-evaulate your game and play smarter.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure i am an action junkie, but its more than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

No,I don't think it is.
You seem to have recognized that something is wrong, now you must take steps to make corrections.
The speed at which you seem to lose control should be a red flag as to the severity this problem can be for you.
Having talent isn't enough. Discipline is the key to most endevours.
You can't play poker all day, every day. The pros don't do it, why should you?
If none of this sinks in at least sign up at bugsysclub.com,
they have a freeroll tournament every hour and after the first hour eliminates about 60+ percent of the field, these freerolls are competitive because there are tangible (very small but real) prizes.

Stop burning money. You live in a society that will not be kind to a broke degenerate gambler.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:54 AM

IMHO one or both of the following two conditions exist in your Poker life:

1. You have absolutely no understanding of Bankroll requirements. I used to have the same problem. Someone else said this: Make you goal to NEVER deposit again. That was my goal on August 28 of last year and (so far) I have succeeded.

If you have $700, cash out $350, you should not be playing anything higher than $20 tourneys (if you are KILLING them) or $0.50/$1.00 Ring games.

Short and simple: 30+ buy-ins for tourneys and 300+BB for ring games.

and/or...

2. You have a Gambling problem. Many of your comments sound as if you are in denial about the problem. This is a PRIMARY sign of addiction. Visit the Psychology forum on this site and read some posts and/or crosspost your OP.

Take care,
Chuck
Old 07-30-2005, 11:29 AM

I really don't want this to come across as mean but it seems like you are playing limits that are too high for your bankroll. If you really are that good at MTT (which it sounds like you are) then stick to those. 10+1 tournaments pay a decent amount if you win them. But seriously. You should never play at a NLHE table where your whole bankroll is less than the buy in. Proper bankrolls are 15-20 times the max buy in at a NLHE table. So if you are playing at 2-4 tables you should have around 6000 in your bankroll. If you cannot stay within your bankroll limits then I think you might have a problem with gambling. I again don't mean this to be offensive at all, but it is a scary thing to see someone who could possibly hurt themselve by gambling on games that they can't afford and have yet to beat. Good luck with this and I hope that your fortune turns around.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:33 AM

poker is not for you - give it up and never play again
Old 07-30-2005, 12:00 PM

i gambled compuslively online for about 3 weeks and put a total of 4500 online. I was down to 800 and switched to poker. My BR is now at 4500, and im dissapointed. I think hitting 5k a month ago put some gabmle back into me. i should easily have 6-7k right now but i left my cash games. I have the opposite problem of you, i want to be a good tournament player but i drop tons of cash there everytime i try. so after losing 500 a week (my first losing week in 2 months), i told myself only 5 mtts a week everyone here who said professional poker is all about discipline is brilliant. If you can't control yourself, your emotions, even your opponents, professional poker isn't for you.

my honest advice: stop for a while. get control of your addiction. Don't even play for play money. give it 1 month off, maybe seek the help of gamblers annonomous (god my spelling farking sucks). then september 1 with a goal. That goal being 1) no cash games (yet) 2) play only within bankroll for tournaments(30 buyins) and 3)give yourself a money goal, something realistic. Once you've proven you can play responibily, only then should you consider taking a stab into the PP 25nl game.

good luck and becareful.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:02 PM

I say take your game seriously. You seem to research a bunch and have some game, but continue to play games where you don't have an edge (seemingly). If you are serious about building your roll, you'll stay in games where you maintain a skill advantage and a positive ROI. There's plenty of tournies around. If you must play cash games, play low stakes while you perfect your game.

Basic stuff, but to me, it looks like you are looking to hit the instant win button, when real earnings from this game are more typically grinded out.

Or quit, as it does sound like it could get out of hand for you.

Good luck either way.

P
Old 07-30-2005, 03:50 PM

There seem to be a few ares of concern here:

1. Are you addicted to gambling or are you just hooked on poker. You say you don't gamble otherwise, so you may not be a hard core gamling addict. Step away from the game for a week and from the tables for perhaps as long as a month. Study your poker books. Perhaps take the money aspects out of the equation completely for awhile as well. Play freerolls at the pay sites you frequent or try to find a free site where the play actually somewhat resembles real play. This will help to determine whether you are a addicted to gambling.

2. You win more often than you lose on the ring games and your post shows that you have tourney success. However, when you lose in the ring games you lose big and then chase losses and then play over your bankroll. Do any of the numerous poker books you have bought focus on the psychological end? It seems that you have major problems with tilt control. Your post suggests you have game, so during if you take the time away from the tables as suggested in (1), perhaps focusing your studying and training in this area will be of benefit.

3. Part of the problem with tilt control may be that you are consistently playing above your bankroll. This puts a lot of pressure on you. During the time away from the tables when you are taking a break and studying, use this period to build up a bankroll.

If you have no problem taking this break and enjoy playing even when no money is involved, you likely just love the game and not a gambling addict. If you cannot stay away or do not enjoy the game when there is no money on the line you MAY have a gambling problem and you may need to seek professional help for a professional diagnosis and treatment if necessary.

If you don't have a gambling problem, then when you do return to the tables, you will hopefully be refreshed, have learned to better deal with tilt, and be properly bankrolled. Stay within your bankroll and always play your best game and you will stay in this game that we love for a long time.

Here's hoping all works out for you.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:11 PM

OK, T-Money if you want to be a professional poker player EARN IT. Take $250 and get an account on stars. Sit down at 2-4 .25/.50 limit tables and grind it out. When your account reaches $500 you can move up to the .5/1 tables. NEVER sit at another table, and do not play tournies until you are playing 3/6 limit tables (have a BR of $3000). Do you understand why this is necessary? Can you do this? Any poker player worth his salt can do this. However it will take dedication and discipline. Prove to yourself, to me, and to the world that you can do this and I will be ok with you continuing to play poker. If you cannot, if you find you can't stay away from tournies, if you EVER sit down at a table with less than 500BBs in your BR, you MUST quit.

CSC