Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2004, 07:43 PM

Default Re: Finally learning NL : so, what the hell did I do wrong here?

This is great analysis, people. Thank you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I especially appreciate the walk through the thought process behind that turn-bet, because it really threw me. Being a limit player, the whole idea that he might be betting out small to avoid calling a bigger bet is not something that I picked up on. Now that I look at it in that light the counter-play is much more intuitive. Also, I did increase my preflop bets on high pocket pairs since making this post, and the results have been noticeably better. Clearly, I was indeed giving my opponents better odds than I should have been.

So much to learn, so much to learn [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

q/q
Old 09-20-2004, 08:23 PM

It looks like you got a beat by an idiot who thought you had AK. His bet on the turn is terribly small compared to the pot, maybe he wants to see a cheap river. I would have pushed him in there, probably. Its tough to tell without a read. He just as easily could have 67 for the flopped straight, but because the stacks arent deep, i would have pushed. If he wants to suck out on you with 2nd pair ok kicker, his loss more times than not. The river isnt a scare card really, it doesnt make any logical straights that werent there already. I guess i call, but only against the type of opponent that will go to the felt with 2nd pair ok kicker.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Therefore...raise to 24 on the turn...fold to an all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero has $23.85 in front of him on the turn. His stack'd need to be significantly bigger before he could think about folding to a turn reraise all-in.

-------------------------------------
The preflop raise is pot-sized, which I think is fine here. You should try not to vary your raises based on the hand you're holding.

As a few others have said, the turn is a clear push. If he has a set/67, good for him. You're way ahead most of the time
Old 09-20-2004, 09:26 PM

Push the turn, and get sucked out on. Never slow down with aces unless he gives you a damn good reason to.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:09 PM

QoQ,

Just a quick note on bet size. I nearly always make pot sized bets or real close to pot sized bets. I have just recently gotten to the point where I will vary bet sizes but honestly just potting it whenver you want to put in a bet is the best. One advantage I have discovered in the weaker games that I play in, is that most people are very hesitant to call or raise pot sized bets. Hope this helps.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I did increase my preflop bets on high pocket pairs since making this post, and the results have been noticeably better. Clearly, I was indeed giving my opponents better odds than I should have been.

[/ QUOTE ]
Remember that you don't want to always bet $x with AA/KK, $y with AK and $z with AQ, this makes you too easy to read. People generally suggest that if you're going to raise preflop, raise the same amount of money with all your hands so that your opponents can't immediately put you on AK for example.