Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 12:03 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)
Default small pot w/overcards

no real reads, but i would classify the table as generally loose preflop and passive postflop(but generalities can kill you in poker). typical SS table.

party 5/10

(i had problems with the converter, sorry)
I'm in MP1.

UTG calls, folded to me in MP1 with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] so i raise, folded to BB who calls.

3 to flop for 6.5 SB:
4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

checks through.

turn(3.25 BB):
8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB checks, UTG checks, I bet, BB folds, UTG calls.

river(5.25 BB):
5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG checks, I bet, UTG folds.

pretty boring, huh?
Old 07-15-2005, 12:08 PM

Default Re: small pot w/overcards

What were you expecting to accomplish by betting the river?
Old 07-15-2005, 12:23 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

represent a PP and get UTG to fold. i had him on a draw(hearts, overs, straight) which was correct because he showed me J10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] when he folded(which i thought was kind of stupid). also, i don't have PT at work but this guy(UTG)folded ALOT on the river. He only WSD like 30 something % and won at sd in the 40% range(lower 40s, don't remember exactly). plus i was playing my image as well, my VPIP was like 13 at this table and the only hand i had raised with went to SD and won(i flopped a set with jacks). anyway, i thought a river bet would push him out of the pot unless he had a PP, which was not likely.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:26 PM

of course "ALOT" is relative to the few number of hands i had with him/her(about 50).
Old 07-15-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
represent a PP and get UTG to fold. i had him on a draw(hearts, overs, straight) which was correct because he showed me J10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] when he folded(which i thought was kind of stupid). also, i don't have PT at work but this guy(UTG)folded ALOT on the river. He only WSD like 30 something % and won at sd in the 40% range(lower 40s, don't remember exactly). plus i was playing my image as well, my VPIP was like 13 at this table and the only hand i had raised with went to SD and won(i flopped a set with jacks). anyway, i thought a river bet would push him out of the pot unless he had a PP, which was not likely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you want J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] to fold?
Old 07-15-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you want J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] to fold?

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly what I was thinking.

My next question - had I returned to the thread sooner was going to be: Why didn't you bet the flop?
Old 07-15-2005, 03:03 PM

to quote flair from earlier:

My typical line here is bet/bet/check, then make a grimace and ask the Dog "How could that Jackass call down with 22". She usually says "woof" and I agree.

this is USUALLY my line also. this was a change of pace play for me. i did not bet the flop to keep the pot small so i would have a better chance of stealing it. i reiterate, this is not how i normally play this hand, i am trying something different, which is why i posted this. anyway, i don't know if i liked the line either as it is giving the draws a free shot to hit. i should have checked the river, i think, in retrospect. sorry to respond so late, i had an emergency in the plant that pulled me out of the office. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2005, 12:27 PM

What possible reason did you have for not value betting that flop?
Old 07-15-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What possible reason did you have for not value betting that flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dead on. Not betting the flop is a glaring error.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not betting the flop is a glaring error.

[/ QUOTE ]