Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2004, 09:55 PM

Default Re: Hand to Talk About

Hi Clark:

he doesn't have to fold very often for m y bet on the river to be correct.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 02-23-2004, 09:56 PM

Hi astroglide:

Not if the king was a diamond.

best wishes,
Mason
Old 02-23-2004, 10:56 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
But what if the river blanks, I bet, and the Big Blind shows me KJ and then folds it?

[/ QUOTE ]

your own words.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:18 AM

Hi Mason,

I am farely new to this forum and most of my playing is done at the 6/12 - 10/20 tables, so in most cases deception like this is nullified by the fact that the other players don't understand a thing.... However, I would imagine that a hand like this becomes very player dependant. Assuming that the BB knows who you are, and is a farely good player himself.... he could put you on a wide range of hands given the position you are in when you raise, that being said, you need to assume he has a wide range of hands he would call a raise with. Once the flop comes out suited, we want to see how he reacts.... Obviously in this case, he checked and that could indicate that he is weak or that he is very strong..... I would assume that in most cases if he hit a pair he would bet, as he would not be willing to give the free card. In this case, I would put him on a low diamond draw or possibly a straight draw with the K10. Once you check the flop, you are in the same predicament. Are you checking a strong hand/draw, cause I would assume that you would also bet if you had a pair, in order to make a draw pay. Therefore, he is betting on the turn, assuming you have a draw..... I think in the end it was well played by both you and the BB. However, if the river card was a blank, I would come out firing my chips from the BB position, and would take down the pot...

I don't think the deception value is very high in this particular instance..... However, you did cause the BB to bet the turn cause of your check on the flop. I think you made more money in this particular case based on the way you played it..... but in the long run you would make more betting the flop, and taking it down right there and then.