Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Re: The official \"I hate Alex Rodriguez\" thread

I saw Fisk talk about the incident once on a show with, IIRC, Johnny Bench and Gary Carter. I think Fisk did mention dishonoring the Yankee uniform.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:36 PM

Well a ball hit into the stands in fair territory isn't a judgment call, it happened or it didn't. But I'm not sure what the rules are about umpires being overruled by the crew or crew chief or another umpire. Last night, for example, Rivera was called safe at first when it looked like he was out. The replay seemed to indicate he was out as well. But I wouldn't have liked it had the call been overruled.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:38 PM

What incident (or incidents) leads you to consider him a d-bag? Not saying he's not, just not aware of what it is you (and others) have against him.

I imagine, BTW, that by the time he retires, he'll be regarded as one of the five greatest players of all time.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well a ball hit into the stands in fair territory isn't a judgment call, it happened or it didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

but it's not always that clear. at Fenway, you see balls go OVER the Pesky Pole, and it's really not always 100% clear if it's a home run or not. then it becomes a judgement call.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:43 PM

Default What About Mussina?

"He just blew our chances of making the ALCS'

Didn't Mussina blow it? And what about Johnson and Gordon who pitched so terribly the night the Yankees scored seven runs? And Matsui, who left eight men on base last night. And Sheffield who popped out with men on 1st and 2nd with nobody out. And Crosby, who bumped into Sheffield. And Torre, who apparently sent Cano on a hit and run with a pitcher who was having trouble throwing strikes. And Bernie, who missed the hit and run sign. And Cano, who struck out and should have run two inches to the right of where he did. And . . .
Old 10-11-2005, 04:44 PM

The yanks were a mediocre team all year long. They barely made the playoffs. However, when they do make the playoffs everyone just thinks they are going to run the table... cuz it's the yankees. I mean just face the facts, the yankees were nothing special this year and they showed it in the playoffs. They cannot win the big games, maybe next year will be different. My advice to all you yankee fans is to open up your eyes and realize you were cheering for an average team this year. And quit ragging on your best player who is a main reason you even played in October.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:46 PM

I think they only overrule a home run/non home run call when they'r "sure." Anyway, I'd be interested in what the rulebook says. I'll check it out when I can. What I do know is that they never overrule a safe/out call, or a swing/check swing call, or an infield fly call.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:58 PM

Default From the Rulebook

I found the following sections from the MLB rulebook:

Any umpire's decision which involves judgment, such as, but not limited to, whether a batted ball is fair or foul, whether a pitch is a strike or a ball, or whether a runner is safe or out, is final. No player, manager, coach or substitute shall object to any such judgment decisions.

If different decisions should be made on one play by different umpires, the umpire in chief shall call all the umpires into consultation, with no manager or player present. After consultation, the umpire in chief (unless another umpire may have been designated by the league president) shall determine which decision shall prevail, based on which umpire was in best position and which decision was most likely correct. Play shall proceed as if only the final decision had been made.

Each umpire team should work out a simple set of signals, so the proper umpire can always right a manifestly wrong decision when convinced he has made an error. If sure you got the play correctly, do not be stampeded by players' appeals to "ask the other man." If not sure, ask one of your associates. Do not carry this to extremes, be alert and get your own plays. But remember! The first requisite is to get decisions correctly. If in doubt don't hesitate to consult your associate. Umpire dignity is important but never as important as "being right."

In running the last half of the distance from home base to first base while the ball is being fielded to first base, he runs outside (to the right of) the three foot line, or inside (to the left of) the foul line and, in the umpire's judgment, interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base, or attempting to field a batted ball; The lines marking the three foot lane are a part of that "lane" but the interpretation to be made is that a runner is required to have both feet within the three foot "lane" or on the lines marking the "lane."

I'm prety sure Cano had his left foot on the line, not to the left of it, the whole way. He jumped to the left only to touch the base. And in any event, it's not clear to me that Cano was responsible for Erstad not catching the ball.

I think I might reverse my judgment; I think the umpire might have gotten this one wrong.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:06 PM

Default Re: From the Rulebook

I thought we were talking about A Rod [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

you're probably right about Cano. honestly, they kept showing the same weird angle, so it's hard to see. but I think Yankee fans are probably correct that the wrong call was made.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What incident (or incidents) leads you to consider him a d-bag? Not saying he's not, just not aware of what it is you (and others) have against him.

I imagine, BTW, that by the time he retires, he'll be regarded as one of the five greatest players of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of it has to do with the way he left Seattle and Texas.

He was offered loads of money to stay in Seattle. But we know what happened instead.

Then, when Texas started sucking (which, it can be argued, was due in part to his contract), he jumped ship again.

I realize that this is the way pro athletics works these days, but to me, A-Rod is just the poster boy of ridiculous contracts and no loyalty.

His skills are above question, and he seems to keep out of trouble as well, but it would take a lot for me to ever root for him again.