Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Bush dictatorship wins. Constitution is dead.

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you claim that these things are unconstitutional? The only provision that they could violate is the 4th Amendment against unreasonable search and seizure. However, every provision except the bank records one requires a search warrant based on probable cause. Ergo, not unreasonable. A request for bank records is not a search for constitutional purposes, because it's information you willingly gave to a third party.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's another extension of the long arm of government. What would they have to do before you deemed it unreasonable, and like Cyrus asked where did the sunset clause go? This type of legislation is often brought in for unusual circumstances and then used in everyday scenarios, such as stopping peaceful protests and ligitimising institutional racism.

Mack
Old 08-31-2005, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's another extension of the long arm of government.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that I have adequately shown that this isnt the case.

[ QUOTE ]
This type of legislation is often brought in for unusual circumstances and then used in everyday scenarios, such as stopping peaceful protests and ligitimising institutional racism.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Patriot Act has been used for neither of these purposes.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's another extension of the long arm of government.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that I have adequately shown that this isnt the case.

[ QUOTE ]
This type of legislation is often brought in for unusual circumstances and then used in everyday scenarios, such as stopping peaceful protests and ligitimising institutional racism.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Patriot Act has been used for neither of these purposes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Over here in the UK the anti terror legislation we have was used for stopping protests, even though it was promised that it wouldn't be. It's a matter of time before one administration or another uses this act, to stop something embarrassing or inconvenient. Me thinks you put too much trust in politicians to act fairly, as has been stated many times 'they are only human'.

Regards Mack
Old 08-31-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Me thinks you put too much trust in politicians to act fairly, as has been stated many times 'they are only human'.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I put my trust in an elaborate system of check and balances, to include non-governmental groups such as the ACLU.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:13 PM

I submit to you all ACLU pizza. It's a small video, watch it.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is your entire account devoted to hating Bush-haters?

-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all... if you read all my post... You'll see that I'm equally upset at the Bush administration for overspending.

The problem is that we never actually had a "surplus" of cash. The budget was never truely balanced... and what Clinton was able to do was control spending for the 6 months prior to the 1999 budget... we were still in debt trillions of dollars.

My comment about camera's in bathroom was extremely trite... I agree.

But I'm trying to send home the point that the conspiracy theories need to be supported by a little bit of evidence. If you actually believe there will come a day where we have camera's in our bathrooms then we've already lost... jump on the boat with me and move to New Zealand.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:46 PM

Another interesting note:

I have heard time and time again from the left how "progressive" European countries are. How superior France, the UK, Germany, et. al. are to the U.S. in their economic and social policies. I'm mean for god-sakes... sex is common during network 4 p.m. TV... how great must they be.

Well, when the U.K. had a little blip on their terrorist attack screen (the subway incident); they shot people in the streets because they were carrying backpacks... broke down doors and raided houses without probable cause... imposed a form of martial law... and didn't blink twice.

Aren't you glad you live in America?
Old 08-31-2005, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, the main reason the surpluses ended is the economy, which started its descent from the bubble peak in Clinton's term.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!!