Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 05:06 AM

Default Re: Calm down newbies...

[ QUOTE ]
rather than move on or call him a jerk or whatever, i posted my own reasoning for my decisions

[/ QUOTE ]
Ian, you must be a god damned genius.

Seriosuly guys, you see this? Stop being so [censored] lazy and you won't have so much to complain about.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately this forum requires two very different skill sets to be deemed 'excellent'--poker and writing. While you seem to think that a long, detailed post explaining someone's thought process is flawless, it is not. There have often been people on these forums who were extremely talented writers but not particularly good poker players. In these cases I would bet that they could covince you of plays that were downwright wrong through clever diction and lucid prose.

Tommy Angelo and bisonbison come to mind as examples of this type. This is not to say that either of them are not good players, they are, but they are surely not as good as 2+2's impression of them would have you believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

if i see the logic behind the posts, i have a chance to find the flaws (and superior players can do so too and post it).

[ QUOTE ]

The fact of the matter is that you are using a very poor metric for deciding who is worth listening to around here.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know how you came to this conclusion. the only thing i mentioned about it was that i don't know who the gurus of this forum are. nothing else.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:43 AM

Okay, this thread has gotten retarded, just like all the others that were the same thing (bitching about this forum). I've lost interest, so you guys can go on complaining about whatever it is you want to complain about. Enjoy!
Old 06-30-2005, 05:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, this thread has gotten retarded, just like all the others that were the same thing (bitching about this forum). I've lost interest, so you guys can go on complaining about whatever it is you want to complain about. Enjoy!

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you so much evan...
Old 06-30-2005, 06:13 AM

One quick point.

I agree that in general quick answers can often be helpful when coming from experts. It simply makes you a smarter poker player. By thinking hands over for yourself you make yourself more likely to be able to think through new and different situations when they come up at the table.

However, I often see the more experienced posters (not Clarkmeister, talking more about what I see in today's SS) just putting in their one line and never coming back to the thread. If the poster still can not figure out why a certain play is correct, now he never will. What if Clark never came back to that thread thirddan was talking about?
Old 06-30-2005, 09:23 AM

You completely missed my point. Nice response, but unfortunately has almost nothing to do with what I was talking about.

Also my abilities or lack thereof have little to do with this subject.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
nice post evan...

also, before dismissing a person like Clarks short posts, do some thinking about why they think whatever they posted...

i remember about 6 months ago when Clark was making the rounds in SS, there was a post that i would have played very passively, but Clark would play it aggressively...the main question was should Hero call or raise a turn bet with a vulnerable hand, Clarks post said "Raise", no explanation, just one word...i took some time to look over the hand again and i just didn't get it, so rather than move on or call him a jerk or whatever, i posted my own reasoning for my decisions and then some possible reasons for his decision, he can back and responded to my questions, which led to more questions and so on...i think over the course of an hour or so we went back and forth 7/8 times and by the end of the hour it made more sense...so don't put off the short posts as avoiding the question of something egotistical, the best posters are willing to help but they don't want the input to be one sided with them just giving the answers, you gotta work for it a little bit...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ususally they don't come back, that is the problem.

Ususally the one word answer kills the discussion.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:29 AM

Default I regret it

I regret having made this original post. At the time, I was very frustrated with some newbies going in every thread and posting horrible strategy in a dogmatic fashion and they were running rampant.

I should have dealt with them in a one on one manner, but didn't, and just made this post which has not proven to be counter-productive. I'd be happy if this just dropped deep into the archives.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:12 AM

Default Re: I regret it

The forum is worse now than 6 months ago because too many people respond to uninteresting hands, people don't provide reads, and a small handful of posters dogmatically insist on being explained EVERYTHING or can't admit that they might be wrong. 6 months ago I thought it was worse than 1 year ago because I was a better player 6 months ago than 1 year ago. And so on...