Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2005, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Play along: interesting 99 hand

WOW great post. I think this is one of the best posts I've read here(still new though). I really like how it took everyone into the poker mind and really helps for understanding just what needs to be done during a hand.

Thanks
Old 05-27-2005, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

gaming mouse: but we'll discount the JJ since sometimes he calls down
jason_t: right
gaming mouse: so
gaming mouse: TT - 3
gaming mouse: JJ - 6
gaming mouse: but call it 3
jason_t: sure
gaming mouse: QQ - 3
gaming mouse: KK - 6
gaming mouse: AA - 6
gaming mouse: but AA and KK are very unlikely
jason_t: agreed
gaming mouse: lets discount them to 2 each
jason_t: sounds good to me
gaming mouse: AK - 16
gaming mouse: 32 total
gaming mouse: 19 are good for hero
gaming mouse: wow
gaming mouse: easy, easy raise
gaming mouse: even if discount for BB
gaming mouse: who i think is very likely to fold
jason_t: wow, awesome
gaming mouse: nh

[/ QUOTE ]

What are the numbers here and how did gaming mouse come up with them? Are they Villain's outs, your outs, or am I way off?

Phogster A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

They are the number of combinations of each reasonable holding based on hand reading from the action up to that point. We discount some of them because of the action. For example AA/KK are possible, but they almost surely would have bet the flop, so they are discounted.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:22 PM

Hmm, ok, I get the combinations part (to make TT it's 3 choose 2), but if we add up the numbers we get 3+3+3+2+2+16 = 29 not 32.

"19 are good for hero": Out of the holdings mentioned, hero's 99 beats only AK, that's 16 not 19.

What 3 am I missing for both parts?
Old 05-27-2005, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, ok, I get the combinations part (to make TT it's 3 choose 2), but if we add up the numbers we get 3+3+3+2+2+16 = 29 not 32.

"19 are good for hero": Out of the holdings mentioned, hero's 99 beats only AK, that's 16 not 19.

What 3 am I missing for both parts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Addition mistake in the first case, JJ is favorable in the second as he might lay it down. So 29:19 which is even better.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:46 PM

cool, thnx jason
Old 05-28-2005, 10:39 PM

Default i think you played this hand great...except

that river bet stinks - bet for value my ass!
how many of those that posted are calling the river bet with AK? what was that? i didnt hear you. yeah, that's right nobody.

hows about posting the 5-8 hands from the same session
where you made this same "value bet" with underpair X2
and were called by a better hand
Old 05-28-2005, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just because it's not folding doesn't mean we shouldn't bet. Do we not bet with top pair on a flush draw board because the flush draw is never folding?

[/ QUOTE ]
That's a completely different situation. And 3-handed yes I believe I would bet top pair in position 100% of the time. But here if you consider the hand ranges you're up against I think a flop bet actually has a negative expectation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hold on, I thought not offering infinite odds was always more EV than offering infinite odds?

If you're arguing that checking the flop maximizes the expectation for the whole hand, then I see what you mean. If we bet, we would never get the chance to protect our hand on the turn, and we would have lost the whole pot.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:38 PM

Default Re: i think you played this hand great...except

[ QUOTE ]
that river bet stinks - bet for value my ass!
how many of those that posted are calling the river bet with AK? what was that? i didnt hear you. yeah, that's right nobody.

hows about posting the 5-8 hands from the same session
where you made this same "value bet" with underpair X2
and were called by a better hand

[/ QUOTE ]

As another poster mentioned in the thread, there have been a lot of call downs with AK UI lately in the Party 2/4 game. As I mentioned, JJ might fold to this last barrel. AK might call. It's razor thin, but I think there is a value in betting.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Betting the flop is wrong as it doesn't protect Hero's hand and Hero can easily be semi-bluffed off the best hand. Waiting for the turn is best to induce a bet from MP and then raising to protect. This is no different than betting into the raiser to enlist his help in protecting a hand. If the BB bets the turn Hero folds. If MP 3-bets the turn Hero folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there is a difference - I can expect a PF raiser to bet. But AK seems a likely hand here - can you expect AK to bet the turn here after checking the flop?

I guess the answer would be hero's checking behind on the flop increases that expectation. I don't think that does it very often imo. Would this be a turn bet if checked to button?
Old 05-29-2005, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Betting the flop is wrong as it doesn't protect Hero's hand and Hero can easily be semi-bluffed off the best hand. Waiting for the turn is best to induce a bet from MP and then raising to protect. This is no different than betting into the raiser to enlist his help in protecting a hand. If the BB bets the turn Hero folds. If MP 3-bets the turn Hero folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there is a difference - I can expect a PF raiser to bet. But AK seems a likely hand here - can you expect AK to bet the turn here after checking the flop?

I guess the answer would be hero's checking behind on the flop increases that expectation. I don't think that does it very often imo. Would this be a turn bet if checked to button?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that does increase the expectation. BB had two passes to take a shot at this pot, and I 3-bet preflop and didn't take a shot at the pot on the flop in spite of my positional advantage.