Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2004, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Please stop using \"Retarded\"

Only if you're an oversensitive mongoloid jive-turkey. People like this need to be checked at all times.

Consider the psychology behind posting this trash. Instead of opening a discussion of the word, the OP leads with an imperative. My response, in kind, is "F*** off." This guy is a Grade A tool.

We can't let retards like this control the vague threshold between comedic and offensive.

-Michael
Old 05-05-2004, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How about if I say so-and-so jewed me down on a price?

[/ QUOTE ]

The jew thing is basically a joke. I know plenty of Jews who are fiscally irresponsible. It's an unwarranted stereotype.

I don't know any retards who are "big thinkers."

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

It's supposed to be "chewed me down". Anyone hear about Ben Stein getting massively pissed off about someone using that term?
Old 05-05-2004, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Come on, guys!

(takes bow)

I'm always honored to be recognized for doing the right thing.

-Michael
Old 05-05-2004, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We can't let retards like this control the vague threshold between comedic and offensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Come on, guys!

I'm always honored to be recognized for doing the right thing.

Your response was revolting.

-- Cheers, Homer
Old 05-05-2004, 11:17 PM

Default Good Bye

I just got home from a dinner honoring people with learning disabilities. The keynote speaker was the CEO of a major airline. He has a learning disability. He was originally classified retarded. He was ridiculed by his peers. If his parents considered him a "retard" he would not have received the special training he needed to reach the top of the business world.

I hope those of you who use retarded with such disregard for others only have children who are blessed with no problems. If not, those children will not stand a chance. Fortunately for this man his parents did not share your views.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Exactly my point. It's a racist joke. It's not funny.

Neither is calling someone a retard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling someone who is cognitively impaired a retard is not funny (medically correct perhaps but not funny). Calling your boneheaded friend a retard for the incredibly inept way he way he made a move on the waitress is funny...although it works much better when you say "fuckin retard"

Old 05-05-2004, 11:52 PM

Default Re: Good Bye

[ QUOTE ]

I hope those of you who use retarded with such disregard for others only have children who are blessed with no problems. If not, those children will not stand a chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? You think somebody here who's used the retarded indiscriminately will fail to seek help for their kids if they turn out to have problems? What world do you live in?
Old 05-05-2004, 11:54 PM

Default Re: Good Bye

[ QUOTE ]
I just got home from a dinner honoring people with learning disabilities. The keynote speaker was the CEO of a major airline. He has a learning disability. He was originally classified retarded. He was ridiculed by his peers. If his parents considered him a "retard" he would not have received the special training he needed to reach the top of the business world.

I hope those of you who use retarded with such disregard for others only have children who are blessed with no problems. If not, those children will not stand a chance. Fortunately for this man his parents did not share your views.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG, you may not be retarded, but you are seriously f'ed up if you believe the crap you are spouting. Get a grip.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:03 AM

I find it interesting that not one cognitively impaired person has jumped it to say how offended they have been by the use of the term retarded on these forums. In one of his responses below, Ericd says they are, but none of them back him up on it...

It appears to me that ericd is the one who is offended on their behalf which is actually a little patronizing. I don't know if we have many cognitively impaired readers of this forum or not, but if we do, how did ericd become their representative? If the use of the word offends him, that's fine, he's entitled to be offended by whatever he finds offensive...but if the reasoning is that its offensive to actual retarded people, perhaps we should find one who've been offended before we start banning the word here...

My own view is that retarded is like a lot of words...in some contexts its pretty darn offensive, in other contexts its not.

--Zetack

The only thing I have left to say at this point (appropos of nothing in particular) is: Twat.