Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Please stop using "Retarded" (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=84004)

ericd 05-04-2004 11:54 AM

Please stop using \"Retarded\"

Spend a day helping out at Special Olympics instead.

Michael Davis 05-04-2004 01:34 PM

Re: Please stop using \"Retarded\"

You're a retard.

-Michael

ericd 05-04-2004 01:40 PM

I guess I shouldn't be stunned by a response such as this but nonetheless I am.

Michael Davis 05-04-2004 01:45 PM

This response was, again, retarded.

Seriously, your post is utterly pointless. I am not opposed to helping Special Olympics, but I see no reason to post it here, and no reason to associate improper uses of the word "retarded" with giving money to Special Olympics.

If you have a point to make about the use of the word, then make it, but don't come at me spouting some crap about giving money to anyone. The fact that I enjoy using dollar bills as toilet paper over giving money to your cause has nothing to do with this forum.

-Michael

P.S. And, you're a retard.

ericd 05-04-2004 01:55 PM

Nowhere did I mention money. What I did was:

1. Ask that people stop using the word retarded the way they do in these forums.

2. I suggested that they might give some of their time to help at Special Olympics. I thought this might give them pause for throwing the word retarded around in the manner they do.

daryn 05-04-2004 01:56 PM

wow, what a flame fest out of nowhere!

spontaneous combustion if you will.

Homer 05-04-2004 02:00 PM

He's saying we shouldn't use the term "retard" as a putdown. We should show some consideration for people who actually suffer from mental retardation. They can't help the state they are in, and their condition should not be used to insult non-retarded people who are slow to understand something, say something stupid, etc. I don't see anything in his post that should make you think he wants us to give money to the Special Olympics. He's just saying that maybe if we volunteered for the Special Olympics, we would gain some perspective and would understand why using the term "retard" to insult people is uncalled for.

I think his message is simple and easy to understand. I think your responses were distasteful.

-- Homer

ericd 05-04-2004 02:02 PM

Thank you.

Duke 05-04-2004 02:36 PM

I'm definitely one of the biggest offenders.

I suppose it -is- a bit out of line to group horrible card players with people who are actually mentally handicapped. After all, real retards actually can't learn, and the players that it's usually applied to have no excuse.

It's actually a great point that you're making here, since the special olympics would show heartless bastards like me that retards actually do try, and they just can't. With normal people, there is no try.

Usually.

Maybe we should call them William Hung's, since he sucks and doesn't care. That would be more appropriate. I had a hard time convincing a buddy of mine that William did not have Down's syndrome, though, so maybe he is retarded.

Yeah I know I'm going to hell.

~D

Dynasty 05-04-2004 02:36 PM

I wonder if butchers are insulted when they here somebody say something like "I really butchered that hand".

I'm sure butchers, as a group, are decent people and perform their jobs competantly. So, why should they be burdened with their profession being synonymous with incompetance?

Why do people use language to denegrate the butchering (sp?) profession?