Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Anyone else get email from Empire about running a bot?

[ QUOTE ]
am i the only one that thinks it would be awesome if they banned playerview? they should shut down all playerview users' accounts!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think they should ban playerview. It just takes information you already have and displays it for you.

However, I think they should consider not saving observed hand histories to your hard drive. I also think they should ban any products that sell player data and will only take you out of their database if you subscribe.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:14 PM

I wasn't aware that some of those services will take you out of the database if you subscribe.

Kind of clever I suppose....but I'm really not that concerned with other semi-intelligent players seeing my stats.
Anyone who subscribes who thinks it's great that they're stats are no longer up there are just kidding themselves.
There aren't THAT many subscribers seeing your stats in the first place....and many of those who do aren't interpreting the data properly anyway.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't aware that some of those services will take you out of the database if you subscribe.

Kind of clever I suppose....but I'm really not that concerned with other semi-intelligent players seeing my stats.
Anyone who subscribes who thinks it's great that they're stats are no longer up there are just kidding themselves.
There aren't THAT many subscribers seeing your stats in the first place....and many of those who do aren't interpreting the data properly anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Besides, what do I care if people see that I'm a 19/8 TAG -- I doubt other sharks are going to want to sit with me. I'm more concerned that they'll bleed the fish dry before I can.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:24 PM

I am very anti-dataming as well. I wont go into all the things that can be done with mass collected data in the hands of a few unscroupulous businessmen.

Party doesnt need to ban saving hands to HD's, or PV or anything like that. There is one simple solution that will be 90% effective starting immediately... ALLOW PLAYERS TO SET A NEW TEMP NICKNAME AT EACH TABLE THEY SIT AT. END OF STORY.

Easy implentation, problem solved. Why wouldnt they want to change this?
Old 04-13-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I don't care about it. I don't mind people using their pokertracker data against me, but I don't really like the pokeredge-type product. The one positive of party allowing data-mining of observed hands is that it ruins pokeredge's business.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Nope

Like I posted in this thread. The problem can be solved insantly with ease. When you log into your account, you should get a box that lets you pick a nick for your session. Kind of like how IRC works. That would instantly render any mined data useless.

I think it would be much better for the games period.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:35 PM

Why wouldnt they want to change this?

because the problems that it would create in making collusion easier are nothing next to the problems they are having from data mining.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why wouldnt they want to change this?

because the problems that it would create in making collusion easier are nothing next to the problems they are having from data mining.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not so -- as long as you're not letting the user change his permanent ACCOUNT NAME, but rather only letting him pick the screename that is visible to other players for that session, collusion detection shouldn't change.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:53 PM

Correct. You can change your screename once every six months now. Like I mentioned somewhere else, it would be somewhat similar to IRC. People could always use their permanant name to sign on if they were so attached to it, and really used the buddy list to find their actual buddies.

Those who would rather not have every hand they ever played played monitored by some wharehouse running 200 Dell servers and charging a subscription for unlimited access to data, can camoflouge themselves.

This is only the roots of what can come from datamining. The number and types of applications that will utilize this data down the line has the potential to break the game.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:54 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
yes, i am very anti-datamining.

[/ QUOTE ]

Datamining and playerview are two different things. Game Time + and Playerview, will only display what is already in your PT database.

If you are anti-datamining (which I agree with), then your complaint should be with Pokertracker itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, you are correct. although i don't even have an issue with pokertracker, but as maxpower said, i do have an issue with party letting you record info on tables just by observing them. i think they should do what pokerstars and full tilt does. you can only see mucked hands if you are dealt in.

not just mucked hands though, but other things like preflop %'s etc. i think should not be able to be mined.