Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2004, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Heh, sometimes you get a beat so nutty all you can do is laugh. *cry*

Cap preflop
Old 11-25-2004, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Heh, sometimes you get a beat so nutty all you can do is laugh. *c

Ok I live in Toronto too, so I should understand this, but I don't. I get the part about you smooth calling preflop when you are almost positive UTG will do the capping for you.

But then you say you also intend to checkraise the flop to protect your hand. If UTG does the capping as you expect then it is also to be expected that he will do the betting on the flop. In which case your checkraise drives out precisely no one as the bettor is on your left not your right.

Unless you also expect the CO to raise the UTG so that you are 3 betting the flop. In which case you have an incredible read on everyone at this table.

Preflop it's gone: Raise, fold, fold, fold, call, 3 bet, fold and now you have the whole game cessed out. CO has QQ or KK. UTG is going to cap. MP3 has a crap draw. You will get to check raise the flop to drive out the draws and get heads up against the QQ or KK. He will not suspect you have AA based on your preflop CC and postflop checkraise but he would have figured it out if you had of capped the flop.

Maybe you're the guy who wrote Inside the Poker Mind?
Old 11-25-2004, 04:45 PM

ps If you don't think this is a very oridinary run of the mill every day type beat you haven't been playing at Party very long so I wouldn't be too confident on my winrate stats.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:38 PM

Default Re: Heh, sometimes you get a beat so nutty all you can do is laugh. *cry*

[ QUOTE ]
You're idiots. Seriously. You don't know anything about the game and you assume I made some gigantic error by "missing" a 5 dollar bet preflop when it would have done nothing to help me win and a great deal to limit what I could have won.

The arrogance of some of the people on here just amazes me. 95% of you could never hang in a game with me, yet while you're posting you can be anonymous experts.

Mindlessly capping preflop would have been a dopey play, period. I considered it, and decided it was the wrong play at that time in the game. Not one of you can offer anything other than "YOU HAVE ACES, YOU SHOULD RAM AND JAM" to refute that. Feh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once more, get over yourself.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you're the guy who wrote Inside the Poker Mind?

[/ QUOTE ]

No way, then he would have figured out that the fish had 74 preflop.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A whiny bad beat, followed by arrogant garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one cares. And yes, not capping AA here is a huge mistake. And it's not even close.

End. Yourself.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:54 AM

Lansing.,
Ok, so what's your Party name again?
Old 11-26-2004, 06:47 AM

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

ps cap preflop
Old 11-26-2004, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But then you say you also intend to checkraise the flop to protect your hand. If UTG does the capping as you expect then it is also to be expected that he will do the betting on the flop. In which case your checkraise drives out precisely no one as the bettor is on your left not your right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read this again, I'm amazed it took 6 pages of thread to get to this point. This is a dynamite point, instead of concentrating on everyone bashing your PF cap, move on and see the entire hand.

The overcaller is the reason for the whole PF cap stuff. It's not about the stinking $5, it's a LONG term mistake. I play Party all the time and the larger population of players are not very sophisticated hand readers, sometimes we get too cute for our own good when solid poker and the CORRECT play is best.

Hopefully, the fish won more pots from the other good players and you were able to make some cash from him. Lately I've been the fish feeder and the others take my chips from him. (dont you just HATE that....)
Old 11-26-2004, 01:54 PM

Default My two cents.

Capping pre-flop gets you 1.5BB more into the pot right off the bat, guaranteed. It's questionable whether a simple cold-call is going to add enough deception to get you that amount into the pot later on.

Though certainly there are some flops that you're more likely to be ahead on than others -- 1.5BB preflop is worth no more than 1BB postflop (on a flop you like).

Question is, is he likely to get another BB postflop with any deception he gets out of the coldcall? Lots of people on party will coldcall 2.5 from the SB with random high suited cards. But when you see a cap, EVERYONE thinks AA or AK. So while I'd probably cap here preflop, the coldcall isn't obviously wrong.

Obviously, he ain't protecting crap setting up the flop checkraise, but I think he knows that now.

And obviously, this is a TREMENDOUSLY bad beat, fish-boy calling two cold on the flop and then hitting his runner-runner. There are worse beats out there, but not many. As I am not a member of the Bad Beat police, I don't mind the posting [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Finally . . . I think, Lansing, that while it's okay to post the occasional bad-beat story, because of the relatively low content you MUST be open to criticism of the way you played your hand. You can't blame people for trying to add some "meat" to a non-meaty post. We are, after all, all here to try to learn something.