Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2004, 03:04 AM

Default Finally got my head straight

After reading alot of posts here on 2+2, Ive come to agree with most of you guys. This is indeed a game of chance, and maybe my paranoid personality is what makes me jump to conclusions. Afterall... Putting your chips in the middle when you are a 3-1 favorite after flop is the way you wanna play right??? Right? I suppose if Im doing the math in my head and realize im a 75% favorite to a win a hand, then i guess its normal for me to get outdrawn 6 times in a row when im a favorite.

Three things i need to learn about this game if I wanna build a good bankroll.

#1 learning how to sense when to bluff. Very rarely do I bluff a hand, only if I know the guys got bottom pair or a draw. If I can learn to sense weakness better I will have chips coming my way more often then not.

#2 Variance. I havent really got this word down yet. Nor do I even know how to use it in tournament play. But Im still trying to learn it.

#3. Knowing when you get off tilt. All it takes is one bad beat and pokerstars has me by the nuts. Ill start playing Pre-Mo hands to the river, and cold call a three raise on the turn with overpair in the hole. Normally off tilt I would realize I am beaten and make a good lay down, but once i get on tilt I notice I am ignoring these obvious signs im a dog and allowing myself to put my chips in when im a 3-1 underdog. Im currently looking into things i can do while I play to keep my best poker focus on. Avoiding these bad beat rythyms will hopefully keep my bankroll ticking.

I love the game of poker, and I love gambling. With alittle knowledge and now how I plan on taking a totally different route with my next deposit. Thanks to anyone who happen to throw me good advice, It did help me come to grips with my play.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2004, 05:06 AM

Default Obtusesessness

Nothing like bluntness from a rock, eh Cephas?
Old 09-27-2004, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Give us the hand number

[ QUOTE ]
geez you're obtuse

[/ QUOTE ]

"What did you call me?"
Old 09-27-2004, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Are online poker rooms rigged???

[ QUOTE ]
Kurn perhaps your right, I dont know a god damn thing about poker. Or maybe im just a stupid fish who loses ALL the time and complains???

Wrong, I know how to play poker. Am I pro? No. and neither is anyone. The only thing that makes anyone a pro at poker, is having a bankroll the size of China and not being afraid to lose it. I dont fall under this catagory so I play passive aggressive poker and dont play too many suiters or connectors.

I lost with AA, In fact ive lost alot of times with aces. My whole problem is how does a passive player decide to call a BBx10 raise preflop with a 68o. How is that???
Im holding wired aces and throw a bet to this guy for half his stack, and he calls with one of the worst hands in the game??? Not to mention every session I had after that was the same outcomes. Yeah this guy isnt online anymore, ive been looking for 6 days now and havent seen him once. My assumption would be that hes a PS agent. I wouldnt doubt it. How else could you explain a SnG list being at 2 players for 30 min, and then when I join it all a sudden it takes 50 seconds to fill up. I dont buy it. It all seems shady.

I respect your post Kurn, and maybe i should post some hands to prove I did not play anything wrong. And they were indeed bad beats. AND the bad beats come in spurts.

Oh yeah, and for the record. I have folded AA and KK, knowing I was outdrawn. Its not hard to figure out what cards a person is holding when its 1v1 in the pot. But when you got rejects calling huge bets with crap hands that flop them a winner, that calls for some serious thought.

But from a professional stand point, maybe the 68o caller only called to try and bluff me out. And got lucky.
I enjoy this site and plan and doing alot of reading and studying before heading back out to low limit online poker.
Sorry if ive offended anyone who plays online poker, but chances are if your a winning player...... Your just a rich yuppie who gets lucky [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, Sir...but you are just digging yourself deeper and deeper into that whole known as, "doesn't have a CLUE what he is talking about, nor about poker."

How many online hands have you actually played? 500? 1000? 5000?

These numbers are still way too small a sample to guage anything by. The bad beats you re describing are normal.

And your claims that the site you play has "agents" for the express purpose of going all-in with 8-6 vs. your AA is perposterous. Isn't it more likely that you ran into a bad player who is just having fun - someone who isn't going to miss the $25 in his stack and is just enjoying the game as a diversion?

Ask yourself this, Einstein: if you were to launch a poker site with the express purpose of "rigging" hands - wouldn't you make sure that the hands you rigged semed more plausible to the players? Like having AJ suck out against AK? no one ever complains about this bad beat...why? Because it's only a 3-1 dog...but your AA vs. 68...why, that HAS to be a MUCH bigger dog, doesn't it??

Actually, it's only about a 5-1 dog...meaning, if you play that hand heads up 100 times, expect your aces to get cracked 20 times...

Face it....you may know how to play a little poker...maybe you've read a book or two, you know all the rules and the basic strategies...but you really have no idea about the numbers behind the game...and the intricacies involved in playing poker...it's a hell of a lot more than playing "tight passive."

Which is the road to ruin, IMO....as is buying in at $50 a pop...how silly is that??
Old 09-27-2004, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Are online poker rooms rigged???

[ QUOTE ]
Lou Krieger addressed this issue very persuasively in a cardplayer.com article. The title had the word "paranoia" in it. I believe Arthur Reber was his co-author.

You and several other people are making foolish complaints about rigging because you don't understand the first and most important point about poker: IT IS GAMBLING.

Whenever you gamble, all sorts of bizarre things happen such as losing to one-outers and trash hands.

I make a point of remembering the times I suck out so that I don't feel that sorry for myself when someone does it to me. For example, at least twice I have misread a situation so badly that I capped on the turn with one out, and then caught my miracle card. The poor guys who lost those hands may have felt that the dealer was cheating them, but it was just bad luck.

You and all the other whiners should either accept that poker is gambling or stop playing poker. If you can't accept bad luck, or if you have deceived yourself so completely that you think you're too good to lose, poker is absolutely the wrong game for you.

I regret being so harsh, but you and all the other whiners are not accepting your responsibility to deal with poker as it is. It is a gambling game, in which luck plays a huge role short term, but has little effects long term.

Regards,

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

why would you regret being so harsh when it seems as if that's exactly what you intended to do from the get go? my thing is, if you're gonna regret it after saying it, THINK about what you're saying before you say it...then think about HOW what you're saying will come off to others. it's hard to be constructively persuasive when you're saying things like, "you and all the other whiners". even if what you say is right, the WAY you say it could could mean the difference between someone actually LISTENING to what you're saying and cinsidering it good advice OR tuning you out altogether and thinking you're an a-hole.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Obtusesessness

heh, nice one. im actually named after a different long-dead jew.