Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2004, 05:59 AM

Default Re: Am I Going to Burn in Hell?

[ QUOTE ]
have faith that God will do what he said

[/ QUOTE ]

When has God said he will do anything. I know a bunch of guys wrote a book called the Bible. They said they quoted God in that Book.

For centuries suckers have believed this.

Also before I admit to god that I am a sinner, I am going to select a family at random. I will then proceed to break into there home. I will tie up and torture the parents and then rape there children in front of them.

After I have had my fun, I will then admit to god that I am a sinner, and my place in heaven is gaurenteed. Talk about having your cake and eating it to. Nice deal God. Thanks. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2004, 06:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't subscribe to any religion.
Does this mean I deserve to be tortured eternally?

[/ QUOTE ]

I find the idea that any god would judge peoples actions differently because they do or don't believe in him to be morally repugnant.

I don't read much theology but in the Narnia books (the last battle?), CS Lewis said that good deeds are done in gods name and bad deeds in the devil's name independently of the beliefs of the perpetrator. Anyone know if this is excepted Christian doctrine?

chez
Old 10-06-2004, 07:15 AM

Relax, Snakerat. There is no hell. Unless you include the little bits of hell we create on earth now and then. The boyfriend did a lawndart impersonation because of you? It didn't happen for that reason. Four chocolate covered raisins? If you'd stolen five, then you may have faced litigation, but God ...he didn't give a rat's ass.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you can't. the poster who said you could was wrong. when you ask for God's forgiveness, you must truly believe that Jesus died for you. nobody believes that Jesus died for them and yet lives a life of hedonism, because they would also believe that that life damages their realtionships with God and others. if i believe that Christ died for me, i don't to repay that sacrifice by spitting in his face and living a life of sin which God says is harmful to me.

do you think, being that (hypothetically) you life a life of hedonism now because you don't believe, that you can all of a sudden force yourself to believe and be truly sorry for your sins just before you die?

if you believe in God and God's commands, you try to obey God. if you live a life of sin planning on deathbed repentence, God is not going to be fooled.

this should be obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Luke 23:39-43(NIV)
One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: "Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!" But the other criminal rebuked him. "Don't you fear God," he said,"since you are under the same sentance? We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong." Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

It was pretty clear that both criminals led a life of sin. The one who said, "We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve" clearly was admitting his sinful life. So how is that(on his deathbed) Christ told him he would be in paradise?(even though he'd led a life of sin)
Old 10-06-2004, 11:28 AM

John 6:28-29 NIV
Then they asked him, "What must we do to do the works God requires?" Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent."

Romans 4:4-6 NIV
Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness. David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the man to whom God credits righteousness apart from works.

Romans 9:14-16 NIV
What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." It does not, therefore, depend on a man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy.

Romans 9:30-32

What then shall we say? That the Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have obtained it, a righteousness that is by faith; but Isreal, who pursued a law of righteousness, has not attained it. Why not? Because they pursued it not by faith but as if it were by works. The stumbled over the "stumbling stone."

Romans 10:9-13 NIV
If you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

[ QUOTE ]
By that metric, and that of Matthew 25:31-45, and that of Matthew 22:34-40 (the greatest commandment), I feel very good about BillyBob.

[/ QUOTE ]

it is about faith not works.

Ephesians 2:8-9 NIV

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God- not by works, so that no one can boast.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:36 AM

Default Manners

I am going to take a time out from theology to make a point about manners. It is probably not nice of me to have fun at joker122's expense, and you may think that I am a poor Christian for doing it. But I think I should have some latitude here, seeing as how he has insulted me without apology. And I am trying to make an interesting point.

Earlier in this thread, joker122 told me:

"If you don't understand why [a point of Christian doctrine] is vomit inducing you are either delusional or dense."

To which I complained that insults are not necessary. He responded:

"Honesty is more civilized than sycophancy."

Then I told him (with some fumbling):

"You are in error if you believe that being polite requires you to be a sycophant or dishonest.

Did you see that? I was polite. And I told you that you were wrong, without being insulting."

To which joker122 responded with:

Nothing at all

joker122, if you are embarrassed or speechless, let me suggest to you that it is because you know I am right.

The reason to be polite is because it is the right thing to do. Sometimes it also gives you the upper hand. Those times are just a bonus. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2004, 12:43 PM

Amid all the ruckus I have not found the time to respond to the initial post.

And frankly, I don't know how to respond to it. Your raisin story makes me think that you are joking. But your other story makes me think that you are not. (I am assuming that your second story is to be taken at face value.)

My response would be quite different depending on what I think you are willing to hear.

But I can say that you will not be judged merely for crimes as trivial as raisin theft or even sleeping with someone else's girlfriend.

The word "merely" is important here.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I can say that you will not be judged merely for crimes as trivial as raisin theft or even sleeping with someone else's girlfriend.

The word "merely" is important here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like I might be sick again.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good job santa clause donst force you to believe in him either, or the easter bunny or the tooth fairy.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are implying that santa clause, the easter bunny, and the tooth fairy all make you sick.
Methinks you're too sensitive to sickness.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:03 PM

No I didnt say that at all. And you know it. Something that you will have to ask for forgiveness for later.

My point is that those supernatural entities are as likely to exist as the judean/christian god.