Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 11:05 AM

Default Re: Horrible Baseball Broadcasters

[ QUOTE ]
If the Cubs hated Stone so much because he doesn't coddle the players and says what is on his mind, then they wouldn't have put up with him for so long and they wouldn't have ever let him come back the second time around. It's not like Stone just started this new style the second time around. He's been the same way his entire broadcasting career. BTW, I think Stone is the best analyst in baseball, so it's not like I wanted him gone. I don't agree with the Cubs players who were doing what they were doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

The change took place with the Dusty Baker regime. Dusty formulates a "bunker mentality" with his players, and doesn't react well to criticism. The "us against them" thought process is what led players to childish confrontations with Stone and Caray, and Baker did nothing to defuse it.

Yes, Stone has been like this his entire career, and it's one of the reasons I respect him so much. The difference is that he ran up against a thin-skinned manager with enough clout (ie-big enough contract) to have his way.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:41 PM

1) Nothing beats the old NBC team of Bob Costas and Bob Uecker (sp?). i watched that duo every chance i got.

2) the White Sox guys on WGN are awful. I'm watching games where they have no clue who the other team's #3 starter is and are openly cheering for the Sox, but not in that subtle, 'we're trying to pretend to be a little bit objective here' way, but in the 'drunk guy behind home plate who thinks he should be in the dugout' way that makes you want to reach through the tv and strangle them.

3) i was back in new england last week for a wedding and realized just how good joe and jerry (i won't attempt to spell the last names) are on the radio, especially joe. you get the sense that these are two guys who do a lot of legwork every day (like learning tendencies of 4th outfielders, etc) and just happen to see the red sox every day, so are leaning in that direction, but not to the point of ignoring the positive qualities of the other team.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If the Cubs hated Stone so much because he doesn't coddle the players and says what is on his mind, then they wouldn't have put up with him for so long and they wouldn't have ever let him come back the second time around. It's not like Stone just started this new style the second time around. He's been the same way his entire broadcasting career. BTW, I think Stone is the best analyst in baseball, so it's not like I wanted him gone. I don't agree with the Cubs players who were doing what they were doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

The change took place with the Dusty Baker regime. Dusty formulates a "bunker mentality" with his players, and doesn't react well to criticism. The "us against them" thought process is what led players to childish confrontations with Stone and Caray, and Baker did nothing to defuse it.

Yes, Stone has been like this his entire career, and it's one of the reasons I respect him so much. The difference is that he ran up against a thin-skinned manager with enough clout (ie-big enough contract) to have his way.

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldn't expect Dusty to have to defend the broadcasters. I can't think of one other situation where a manager has to protect the broadcasters from the players. I think you have to lay this on the players and the players only. Plus, we don't know what else was going on behind the scenes as far as what Stone was doing. I doubt he instigated it, because he doesn't seem the type to do that kind of crap, but we may never know for sure.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldn't expect Dusty to have to defend the broadcasters. I can't think of one other situation where a manager has to protect the broadcasters from the players. I think you have to lay this on the players and the players only. Plus, we don't know what else was going on behind the scenes as far as what Stone was doing. I doubt he instigated it, because he doesn't seem the type to do that kind of crap, but we may never know for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying that Baker has to defend the announcers. When your team is being distracted by stupid crap like picking fights with the announcers, then yeah -- he should probably step in and get them to focus on the task at hand.

Much like whether or not Raffy Palmiero knowing took steroids, we'll never know what happened -- but most of us have a pretty good idea anyway...
Old 08-18-2005, 05:02 PM

I'm sure if Dusty could control Alou, he would have. Unfortunately, I don't think he could.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure if Dusty could control Alou, he would have. Unfortunately, I don't think he could.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dusty has never made an effort to control anybody in his managerial career. There have been clubhouse problems everywhere he's been. It's my opinion that his philosophy does more to create problems, which is part of the issue.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had to look it up:

lucky pierre -- noun. 1940s. 1. the man in a sexual threesome of two women and one man. 2. (gay) the middle man in a "sandwich" of three sexually entwined men. (? -- the punchline of a joke) From "Cassell's Dictionary of Slang" by Jonathon Green (Wellington House, London, 1998).

I wonder which one he meant?

[/ QUOTE ]

I looked it up too, my first thought, "Leave it to the Giants announcer to use a reference like that."

(like Mike though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])
Old 10-16-2005, 08:08 PM

Add the incompetent Pinella to the list. Zero talent to speak about baseball.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:14 PM

I absolutely HATE Fox's baseball broadcasting. Useless camera angles, mediocre at best play by play, horrible color. It'll be a huge relief when NBC gets baseball back. Costas is just head and shoulders above these guys.

GoT
Old 10-16-2005, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I keep getting the idea to start a blog and document all the examples of poor work from these guys. There would be plenty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Already done, and pretty much is as easy as you say. I think the guys who write it are hilarious.

http://firejoemorgan.blogspot.com/