Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Horrible Baseball Broadcasters (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=314983)

RacersEdge 08-14-2005 01:57 PM

Horrible Baseball Broadcasters

Why are baseball broadcasers so awful?

Joe Morgan, Kruk, Brantley, Dibble, basically all the Braves announcers, the White Sox announcers etc, etc, etc.

I'm watching the Braves gane with Ron Gant commenting and it's just boring cliche unsightful stuff from him.

I guess the root cause is the belief that people want ex-players to do the broadcasting. And ex-players can't analyze a game - they can only hit, throw, run, etc.

I always think there must be broadcat majors coming out of college getting very irritated when the hear the crap that repesents the top announcers in the game.

I keep getting the idea to start a blog and document all the examples of poor work from these guys. There would be plenty.

IggyWH 08-14-2005 02:05 PM

Re: Horrible Baseball Broadcasters

Throw in Joe Buck... hate that bastard too.

sublime 08-14-2005 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Throw in Joe Buck... hate that bastard too.

[/ QUOTE ]

cadillac1234 08-14-2005 02:24 PM

The Giants seem to have the best announcing staff in the majors save for Mike 'The Homer' Krukow.

For most annoying: Joe Buck is the worst followed by the grand salami idiot in Seattle.

The Braves announcers are the audio version of watching paint dry.

New001 08-14-2005 02:45 PM

Whoever was broadcasting the Angels games against Oakland were awful too.

I said it in the other thread, but Tony Gwynn is the only former player that I've heard in the booth that sounds intelligent to me.

Russ McGinley 08-14-2005 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Throw Joe Buck off a cliff... hate that bastard too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jake (The Snake) 08-14-2005 03:09 PM

SLAM-A-LAMA

DING DONG!

offTopic 08-14-2005 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Giants seem to have the best announcing staff in the majors save for Mike 'The Homer' Krukow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I merely find him annoying because I'm a Giants fan...if not, he'd be unbearable.

It's feast or famine for the Giants - they're very good right now, even though Fleming is inexperienced. They were really good a few years ago when they had Ted Robinson, but I think at that point, there were too many "name" broadcasters.

After that, they brought in Joe Angel for his second stint with the team. Ugh.

Previously, we fans have had to deal with the likes of Phil Stone and Ron Fairly, so except for the Hank Greenwald era, these are the halcyon days of Giants broadcasts (since the whole Hodges/Simmons thing was slightly before my time).

Voltron87 08-14-2005 03:34 PM

the mets' crew

joe morgan
joe buck
tim mccarver (depending on what mood im in)
suzyn waldman

Jack of Arcades 08-14-2005 03:43 PM

I was with you until you dissed Braves announcers. I LOVE Skip, Chip, etc. Ron Gant does blow, though.