Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Re: A routine fold?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
not to be a nit... but I always thought implied odds went up when it was raised PF, especially by somebody who will stay in the hand until showdown, betting and raising.

although that wouldn't be good for if you were drawing on the later streets... poop, I'm confused

[/ QUOTE ]

Suppose that the average pot size is 6 BB. If you broke it down into "raised pots" and "limped pots", you'll probably find that limped pots average something like 5 BB and raised pots average 7 BB (of course, those numbers are just made up).

Implied odds are the ratio of your investment to the expected return if you happen to hit your hand. Using this very crude illustrative model, a limped pot has 5:.5 = 10:1 implied odds and a raised pot has 7:1 implied odds.

So while you expect the final pot to be larger, you don't expect the final pot to be twice as large, so your implied odds must go down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a little fuzzy on the crude model you gave me, I took it as the same thing as regular pot odds. All I was saying is that PF raiser + good relative position = opertunity to trap extra bets if you hit your hand, and thats all I think about for on implied odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

PF raiser + good relative position does mean that you can trap people for extra bets. This helps your implied odds. HOWEVER, you cannot trap people for twice as many bets on all streets. You may get them two or three bets on the flop, but you won't keep getting extra bets on the turn or river.

So pot size goes up, but implied odds go down.