Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Re: How much do you think you lost playing SNGs before you became a winner

[ QUOTE ]
How much do you think you lost playing SNGs before you became a winner

[/ QUOTE ]

First, my social life went. THen i lost my physique. Now i am clinging to whats left of my sanity.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Re: How much do you think you lost playing SNGs before you became a wi

I lost my first 4 $5+.50 SnG's in a row on UB, lost almost my entire deposit, so I decided to tighten up and practice with my ultimate points, lost the first one, and then won 4 in a row quadrupling my ultimate points. At that point I felt confident enough to redeposit and play the cash again. I tripled my money in a few days, but I've been frustrated and feel weak towards all the maniacs at that level that are constantly over betting the pot, so I've been changing my strategy trying to learn how to play these guys, and I've been loosing more often, but I'm still up pretty good because whenever I loose a few, next one I'll get 1st place and be right back up there.

Heres a question, do you find a lot of maniacs at the bigger levels? $20? $30? $50? $100? I'd love to be playing those $200's at party at some point.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:06 PM

If you don't understand that you should be really happy when your table is full of maniacs then it will be a long time before you are ready for $200s
Old 05-02-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Re: How much do you think you lost playing SNGs before you became a winner

$8 Million; But it is a statistical aberration in that the sample size is only 46 years....Now that I can beat the SnG's, I should get back to even in 2051 (at age 108) [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2005, 04:16 PM

You should love the maniacs. Their poor play = you make $$.

Annie Duke has a good column on her site about how to take advantage of the maniacs. It was written for limit games, but a lot of it applies to poker in general.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:40 PM

Zero. But the funny thing is that even though I was winning right away, I was terrible. I was a straight-up rock, and the online low-limit games were nutty enough that you could easily weak-tight your way to a decent winrate.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are probably many players that are or would have been very good at SnGs that started off in a cold streak and stoped playing because they got discouraged.

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutely. Of the long term winners playing right now, i'd guess only a small percentage were able to break even or beat the game when they started. Most winners either experienced enough positive variance early that they had time to learn the game, or just kept pumping money in until they learned. A little of both for me... i dropped $250 to start out with, and if not for placing in a satellite at the tail end of that my poker career woulda ended 8 months ago.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:44 PM

i used to play 10$ SnG's back in the day when i was playing casually, then i moved up through big NL games and big limit games (up to 1000$ NL and 20-40 limit) before i took some shots at 109's, i had a 50% ROI for my 1st 100 and the rest was history... so i guess i never really lost at SnG's because i played weak players at low limits and somehow naturally fell into the aggressive blind stealing 109's
Old 05-02-2005, 05:58 PM

I've played a million and I am still not a winner

Jcardshark
Old 05-02-2005, 06:30 PM

I can honestly say I didnt lose anything.

First SnG I played in I won. (A 2table SnG at Stars)

I had a great run at them as a beginner, not knowing that at the time I was a losing player..... but... SnGS were not as popular then, and I am not so sure that perfect strat had beem mastered yet, nor was it used at the low limit tables.

It wasnt till I had spent hundreds of $$ on rent and the like last year while moving and jobless that I went on the ride of life.. I must have lost like I dunno 15 buy ins... I thought the world had ended, and I yelled at my girlfriend on the phone. I cried.... I even quit playing them for a while to work a /gasp real job. Till July when I picked up where I left off. No job, no money, no skill.

But this time I had AMs guide and I followed it to a near letter while posting my first posts in the STT fourm. "SNG marathon" I grew in skill, BR knowledge and then found out brutily that 15 buy ins was a joke, 500 SnGs was a small??!! sample size.

The money you lose learning SnGs is hardly considered or remembered compared to the first bad swing you have. And when you get the second bad swing that is twice as bad as the first bad swing then you are on the path to learning something valuable.... If you last this that long. I pitty the winning player that starts out on a bad swing.