Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2004, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Michael Moore and his influence on the American people.

[ QUOTE ]
I just watched Fahrenheit 9/11 a few days ago and it to made me upset with the bs and none factual bias opinions of Bush.

[/ QUOTE ]
Since we can't tell what this means, nobody can offer much of a response. By preferring phrases like "make me vomit" and "pile of crap" to facts and argument, you appear incoherent and possibly unhinged.

The salient points of Moore's movies are more banal than radical nor novel. In Roger and Me, Moore contrasted the relative insularity of the corporate class from the fallout of their own poor decisions. In Bowling for Columbine, he argued that a legacy of violence and racism has created a culture of fear and obsession with "others" so pervasive that it inhibits Americans from acknowledging fairly obvious problems of social safety, like widespread gun violence. In F9-11, he contends the Bush is a dim bulb and that his White House expoited 9/11 hysteria to pass repressive legislation and invade Iraq under false pretenses.

Issues like these aren't novel and in many educated circles aren't even controversial. They're standard talking points, raised and discussed in classrooms and opinion journals everywhere, although much less on American TV. The idea of Moore as a dangerous radical incongruously able to "brainwash" the masses is a fantasy for propaganda outlets geared toward mobilizing the patriotically credulous, like Murdoch's.

What's more interesting is how Moore invites such viseral, foaming-at-the-mouth responses like yours. It's obviously not Moore's particular views (none of which you bothered to mention) that pushes buttons, but that he's making them at all and at least some people are listening. For example, the many posts on this board about Moore's "lies" are comically petty quibbles, such as whether the number of Americans killed with handguns is closer to 10,000 than 11,000. It seems that many people who beleive they embrace a "conservative" "ideology" simply have a patholgoical hatred of dissent unless it dovetails with the interests of the powerful. When we can spot this tendency among populations purportedly raised on the values of education, scientific reasoning, democratic processes, toleration of dissent and the presumed legitimacy of competing opinions, that's when we can say that there's some brainwashing going on.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:27 AM

On what?
Old 12-13-2004, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On what?

[/ QUOTE ]
he is too Canadian!!!!! How else can you explain him!?!?!?

j/k.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:35 AM

Oh. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2004, 03:28 AM

You're pathetic buddy, and should be embarassed that he appears smarter than you and is still in high school.

I also grew up under the canadian education system and was spewed crap like this throughout my gradeschool years up till my current university years (which has been the worst of the lot). Most Canadians jump at the oppurtinity to rag on the states cause it makes them think their country is important.
Also, i remember learning things in canadian history (which is all we unfortunately learned) like canada had such an important role in world affairs. For example, while learning things like the boer war, we didn't even cover any of the other countries' involvment. Being a south afrikan native, i knew a little more about the war than my peers, and questioned my teacher why they aren't mentioning the other countries involvement, and she simply replied, "The other countries weren't that involved!". I'm not even going to delve into the stupidty of the comment, but i think most of you will understand.
Lastly, a large percent of canadians are very anti-american and don't feel any need to defend america so they just join in on the bashing. Also, my experience with canadian youth is that more than 9 out of 10 people i talk to know nothing about world politics, know nothing about american history or politics, yet they all have heart-filled opinions about america. In fact, most people when i ask why they dislike america, they simply respond, "haven't you seen farenheight 9/11?".
Maybe you're just a product of the system and thats why you disagree? Just a suggestion...

By the way, i don't generally try to insult other people unless they do the same to another for no reason.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:40 AM

I despise Michael Moore as well, but who cares about him anymore? His attempt at bringing down Bush failed miserably, and now Americans are seeing him for what he really is, i.e. the very thing he supposedly speaks out against: a propaganda-spewing, lying, ideology-driven stooge who uses this to profit off the American people.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
patriotically credulous

[/ QUOTE ]

A great turn of words that also eplains so much.