Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2004, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Heh, sometimes you get a beat so nutty all you can do is laugh. *cry*

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I don't have anything to learn from people who believe there is only one way to play aces. That's not just poor advice, it's downright idiotic.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the things to keep in mind about these types of arguments is that a lot of us have been over these issues many times at great length. Just because the advice is simple (cap pre-flop here) doesn't mean that the people giving the advice aren't well aware of the complexities involved. No-one here is recommending a rigid, inflexible strategy for playing pocket Aces. But one of the reasons you aren't getting lengthy, in-depth technical arguments is that the mathematical and strategic considerations here are extremely well-covered territory. It's scorched earth, and no-one particularly wants to root around through the rubble for more babies to kill.

Although in your case that does sound tempting.

/mc

[/ QUOTE ]

So you response is basically "Well trust me, we've discussed this and had many in-depth discussions, and trust me we've pretty much all agreed that capping with aces is the only way to go. So trust me on that, ok?"

Ridiculous. First, I know the math, and I know the arguments at least as well as the people here. Don't let my post count fool you. Next, I should trust a bunch of players who cannot see the OBVIOUS strategic significance of preserving my ability to checkraise (twice) into the fish? I think not.

In fact, if this history had been posted and I had capped with the aces, I probably would have also said: "Yeah I know, it was mindless of me to cap with the aces knowing it would probably cost me my chance to checkraise the KK into the fish, but I was playing scared and stupid that night, not paying attention and just ramming and jamming like a dummy because I was so happy to see aces and not concerned enough about protecting them in a multiway pot."

The more I think about it, the more idiotic capping with the aces would have been, no matter what any of you trustworthy geniuses think.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Heh, sometimes you get a beat so nutty all you can do is laugh. *c

[ QUOTE ]
5. Finally, the level of arrogance on this board can be stunning. Just because you read and think about poker doesn't mean you're any good at it. Just because you see a play that you might have made differently doesn't mean you're better than that player. If you think I am a poor player for missing one bet before the flop that would have almost certainly cost me a vital strategic weapon, you're dead wrong. If you think you can judge the merit of the play simply based on the hand history, having seen NONE of the action at the table, you're arrogant *and* stupid. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if all of my critics on this thread have nowhere near the winrate I do (just like it won't surprise me to see all the BS winrates posted now).

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point and you are living proof.

PS I always thought that 6 came after 5. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2004, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you post your winrate maybe we can get the rest of the players in this thread to post theirs, just for kicks. And if your winrate was higher than our collective winrate, you'd probably be playing at the limits that we do. Frankly, if you think this is an awful beat then I doubt you even have enough hands to statistically even prove you are a winning player, much less speculate as to your exact winrate.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

My winrate at 5-10 is 3.5. At 3-6 it was 3.6.

My reasons for not playing higher limits are my own, but I have played as high as 30-60. I have never been a losing player at any limit, and I frankly find 15-30 the softest game on Party.

I have absolutely no doubt that I am a winning player and that I understand poker at least as well as any of the posters on this thread. I have a lot to learn, as we all do, but I really don't have a thing to learn from people who cannot understand why I wouldn't cap PF with those aces.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:57 PM

Maybe you could post a screenshot of your winrates and the amount of hands you've played just so we can get an idea of how close you are to your actual winrate?
-James
Old 11-25-2004, 03:00 PM

Why? I've not lied about them. I don't honestly care if you believe me. I suppose I could, but I'm not insecure enough to want to impress you to justify my play with the aces. The play was the correct one, and I have explained why. End of story.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Finally, the level of arrogance on this board can be stunning.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pot, meet kettle.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:04 PM

This thread had devolved into a pissing contest with idiots who can't understand the obviously correct strategy behind my play. It's pointless to debate internerds who won't budge and won't give up, so I'm done with it. If any of you are ever on the 5-10 at Party, I'll show you what a crappy player I am and you can take all my money.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

6. Finally, the level of arrogance on this board can be stunning.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you're on to something here... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2004, 03:10 PM

Whats your Party name?
Old 11-25-2004, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's pointless to debate internerds who won't budge and won't give up

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree.